Great News?

Comprev

CNET now hosts a download for Combofix!

I don't think that they should do this.

Combofix should only be downloaded when recommended by an expert.

MG's also show it in their software update list, but add:

"Combofix (Latest) [ 3.81 MB | Freeware | Win7/Vista/2K/XP]

ComboFix is a program that scans your computer for known malware, and when found, attempts to clean these infections automatically. ComboFix also displays a report that can be used by trained helpers to remove malware that is not automatically removed by the program. The use of ComboFix is done at your own risk."

Never read of any problems on their site from people using it incorrectly.

I'll check but I'm fairly sure that tool is only allowed to be downloaded from authorized sources and last I heard Cnet isn't one of them

Important Things To Note

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert who can interpret the logs. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for viruses. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, possible false detections, problems running ComboFix or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.
discussions pertaining to how Combofx works, what it can or cannot do, what the log results mean, any future plans, updates, etc is not available to the public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums

Edit: I sent a message the the tools author

Any news yet?

No & I think we should trash this thread as the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums

No one should be using ComboFix unless specifically instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert, NOT for general public or personal use.

Guest garybear

Hello friends!! Before you trash this thread!!

Check this out!!

post-43884-1294258497_thumb.jpg

This should get this thread closed.

Old garybear posted a reply.

That usually get a thread closed real quick.

I've seen other threads closed for just reporing the news ;)

• 1 month later...