Amazon password change request

steve jones

Received an email from Amazon saying they had received a request from me to change a password, but if we hadn't sent such a request we should ignore the email. We hadn't, so we did. But should I be worried - had someone else tried to access my account? Is anyone more knowledgable about how/why this happened?

Received an email from Amazon saying they had received a request from me to change a password, but if we hadn't sent such a request we should ignore the email. We hadn't, so we did. But should I be worried - had someone else tried to access my account? Is anyone more knowledgable about how/why this happened?

If there is an AMAZON link in that e-mail do NOT click on it to go to Amazon.com

Enter www.amazon.com manually in your browser's address field and then go from there.

If you already used the link in that e-mail, still manually address and go to Amazon.com and *immediately* change your password. If someone has already done so and you can't log onto your account, contact the Amazon.com Fraud Department for assistance.

Contact via fraud@amazon.com or call (800) 201-7575

Spoofing or Phishing e-mails: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=15836841

~Shy

Agreed, but from a KNOWN clean computer.

And my advice and assistance?? Chopped liver...

This not directed to you Ron (I just picked a post and hit REPLY)

I'm trying to figure out the last time someone agreed with what I wrote.. or wrote, "Like Shy said but also do...."

I'm coming up dry. (And more than slightly irritated...) BTW; I agree with you; from a clean computer. :))

~Shy

You're welcome. :) If it was fake more then likely it would ask. :) You can get your pc checked out if you want just in case. :)

We don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Not all spam/scam emails will tell you to click, and I'm sure some of the scammers are hoping people will click anyway... It's always best to go to the website via a bookmark/favorite listing that you made, or typing it directly into the address bar. Never click on a link in an email unless YOU requested the email and you KNOW it's safe. When in doubt, do not click.

If you are concerned that you're infected, please do follow Button's directions above. As long as you didn't click on it though, and contacted Amazon as Shy suggested, there shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I would also recommend changing the password to the email that you use to log into Amazon as well, just as a precaution.

Update...I was in the process of doing as suggested and telling my wife that she should keep a close eye on her bank account for a few weeks. (I had previously told her that we had received a suspicious email and I was coming to this site for advice). Her reply..."could it be anything to do with the password request I did the other day? I couldn't remember our Amazon password." Arrghhh!! Women!!!! You've got to love 'em...

Sorry guys!