1.50 upgrade on Win7/64 running KIS2011?

Hi:

Checking to see about any known issues with in-place upgrade to 1.50 Pro on a Win7/64 box running KIS2011 (11.0.1.400 a.b.c) and Carbonite.

I've been watching the boards for issues & noticed a few with backup utilities, missing right-click context menu & other, assorted problems, but it's not always clear what the OPs' system specs are.

I experienced none of these problems doing an in-place upgrade on my Win7/32 laptop running Webroot & Carbonite.

(And most of them would probably be resolved by a clean install of 1.50, which is always an option.)

But, before taking the plunge on my desktop, especially installing on top of 1.46, I thought I'd ask if everything installed and is working OK with 1.50 on anyone's system with similar specs to this desktop box?

Thanks in advance for your feedback (and thanks to the MBAM folks for a SUPER program)!

daledoc1

Thanks, all.

I think I'll let the dust settle for another day or so & wait for some others to weigh in before upgrading.

I need to do my regular file & PC image backup anyway.

After that, I'll take the plunge.

I've not had any issues with KIS2011 and MBAM 1.46, having created all the necessary program permissions for MBAM in KIS when I first installed MBAM.

Heck, if Webroot can handle the upgrade, then KIS ought to be able to, as well, right? ;)

If all else fails, there's always the option of a clean install.

(I wonder if KIS will retain its MBAM program permission rules once I (temporarily) uninstall MBAM, or whether I'll have to set it all up from scratch again once I reinstall MBAM? A great mystery, to be sure...)

Regards,

daledoc1

(I wonder if KIS will retain its MBAM program permission rules once I (temporarily) uninstall MBAM, or whether I'll have to set it all up from scratch again once I reinstall MBAM? A great mystery, to be sure...)

I'd recommend re-adding them whenever you install a new version of any security product as I believe Kaspersky only excludes that particular file (ie, the same file version, same hash etc) so whether you update MBAM or do a clean install, re-creating your exclusions in Kaspersky is a good idea.

Also keep in mind that you can now exclude Kaspersky (as well as any other security software you're running in realtime) from MBAM with version 1.50, which I've found frequently improves system performance:

Set Exclusions for Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) if using a 64 bit operating system and click once on Kaspersky Lab and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Maybe its just me, but my exclusions seem to save in KAV, Exile. When I do a clean uninstall and before I re-install Mbam, I see the pathfile still there but a blank spot where the icon should be, then when I install Mbam again, I see the Mbam icon again next to the pathfile that I originally made for exclusions.

In this case, do you think that exclusions should be done over again anyway? I can give you a screen shot, if you want.

I'd recommend re-adding them whenever you install a new version of any security product as I believe Kaspersky only excludes that particular file (ie, the same file version, same hash etc) so whether you update MBAM or do a clean install, re-creating your exclusions in Kaspersky is a good idea.

Also keep in mind that you can now exclude Kaspersky (as well as any other security software you're running in realtime) from MBAM with version 1.50, which I've found frequently improves system performance:

Set Exclusions for Kaspersky Anti-Virus and Kaspersky Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) if using a 64 bit operating system and click once on Kaspersky Lab and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Thanks for the tips, Exile and everyone! -- I hadn't thought to do that.

I will add WISE to the MBAM exclusions when I next boot up the lapto,p and will plan to do the same for KIS on the desktop after I upgrade.

I plan to do the following steps for the in-place upgrade, but I'm not sure if the sequence is correct:

1) D/L the 1.50 installer

2) Close MBAM (turn off protection module)

3) "Pause Protection" in KIS (even though 1.46 already has full permissions)

4) Run the MBAM 1.50 installer (remembering to "run as administrator" and making sure MBAM 1.46 is NOT configured to load at Windows start, since I assume settings will be retained)

5) BEFORE rebooting, re-create the MBAM exclusions in KIS application control (rationale: KIS will reload & restart protection upon reboot, so I thought I would try this step before the reboot)

6) Reboot

7) Double-check the KIS exclusions for MBAM

8) Open MBAM, update defs, confirm settings, add KIS to "Ignore", and...

9) Run a Quick Scan.

Does this seem to be correct?

Many thanks,

daledoc1

Thanks Exile, I'll do that then. ;)

Same three files you told me before?

Edit: All done :D

Which 3 files?

Do we actually point to individual KIS EXE files, or to the KIS folders? (I may have to browse around a bit, since I don't know the precise file paths for individual KIS program files....)

Thanks,

daledoc1

5) BEFORE rebooting, re-create the MBAM exclusions in KIS application control (rationale: KIS will reload & restart protection upon reboot, so I thought I would try this step before the reboot)
That won't work because MBAM is still going to replace some in-use files after reboot with newer versions so you'll need to add the exclusions for MBAM in Kaspersky after installation is complete after reboot.

In MBAM, you can exclude the KIS folder as MBAM's exclusions are recursive so there's no need to exclude Kaspersky's individual exe's.

That won't work because MBAM is still going to replace some in-use files after reboot with newer versions so you'll need to add the exclusions for MBAM in Kaspersky after installation is complete after reboot.

In MBAM, you can exclude the KIS folder as MBAM's exclusions are recursive so there's no need to exclude Kaspersky's individual exe's.

OK, I suspected that might be the case. Will reset/reconfirm the MBAM exclusions in KIS after the reboot, but before opening/running MBAM. I assume this should work, so long as MBAM is not configured to load at Windows start (which is currently how it is configured -- I just start it manually after KIS loads).

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic it will work fine, since KIS seems to handle MBAM 1.46 without any problems (despite dire admonishments from the folks at KL).

And thanks for the extra instructions on excluding KIS from MBAM, as well.

I'll report back in a day or so, after it's all completed.

Thanks,

daledoc1

@mountaintree:

Sorry for the late reply.

It looks like one only needs to find the KL folder to add to the ignore list, so I should be OK, thanks.

(Still haven't upgraded MBAM on the DT, as I was waiting for the dust to settle a bit on the recent re-release of the new KIS2011 build. Since I have to uninstall MBAM before installing it, anyway, I *may* wait a few more days before installing MBAM 1.50.)

I will post back in a day or so with an update.

Much obliged,

daledoc1

Just to report back good results of clean install of MBAM 1.50 Pro after a clean upgrade of KIS2011 to the new build.

I followed the general steps outlined by Exile360 in post #4 here:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=60692

and the KL article here:

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282089

However, I found that once I installed MBAM & added it as a "trusted" application in KIS, when I opened the "threats & exclusions" window to add the MBAM EXE files, MBAM was already listed as allowed.

So, for the time being, I have not found it necessary to add the individual EXE files for permissions.

Hence, for general instructions, it seems that it is only necessary to add MBAM to "trusted" applications in order to give it full exclusion in KIS, without having to manually add the individual EXE files.

(If I run into problems, I will go back & do this, but it seems redundant at this point.)

Everything in MBAM is working properly, and I have added KL to the MBAM ignore list, so that both programs now have full permissions/exclusions for one another.

For the time being, I have configured MBAM to automatically check for updates & to run a daily quick scan, but I have disabled the load at Windows start for now (preferring to start MBAM manually after booting & after KIS loads completely).

So far so good -- MBAM 1.50 PRO and KIS2011 (CF2) look to be a strong combination running well together.

Thanks to all for advice and assistance!

daledoc1

PS The only glitch I experienced in the process was that mbam-clean.exe did NOT fully remove all traces of MBAM during my uninstall prior to the KIS upgrade. Even after a control panel uninstall > reboot > mbam-clean.exe > reboot, I was left with a desktop shortcut icon (which had reverted to generic) and an empty MBAM folder in "appdata". I removed them both manually & rebooted before the KIS install, so that they would not be detected as MBAM traces & cause the KIS install to fail.