Fixing egistry errors requires payment

Someone I know was having problems with her computer and I suggested she run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software. Here's what she wrote back to me:

"I ran Malwarebytes and it found 943 registry errors, making the computer "at high risk". The only way to fix that is to buy the product."

I've used Malwarebytes many times and have never had a request for payment (although I am not considering getting the real-time protection). Why would she be getting this message?

:(

sounds like she got the wrong download be aware there are impostors out there that are trying to ruin Malwarebytes good name

Malwarebytes removes malware its not a registry cleaner it will delete registry keys related to the malware it finds but it doesn't modify or delete entries that are not related to its detections & it will never make you buy it before it will do its job

if possible upload a copy to the research center for the researchers to look into,

Side Note About Registry Cleaners: 99.9% of them are junk and will do more damage than good,If you modify the registry and make an error it will damage the system make it unbootable and useless Registry modifications should only be made by someone properly trained

Hi and Welcome -

There is no need to purchase any program , if you do not wish to - Our panel of experts will review the operating system (FREE) and help to remove any infections that may remain - Please ask your friend to follow these instructions and we are more than willing to fully help with any problems -

The instructions can be a bit hard to understand , but if they try then we always will help them -

As we do not work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow >> What do I do now? , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

The next step is post a >> New Topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that

you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via This Link

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :(

Thanks for the responses. I had sent her the link http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php but before that she downloaded Spyware Doctor /PC tools and ran that. After Googling Spyware Doctor I can't see that it has caused that response from Malwarebytes - I've encountered some rouge 'anti-virus' programs in the past and had to run Malwarebytes off a usb key to remove it but search results seem to indicate that Spyware Doctor is legit.

I'll try and point her to this forum and the above directions but she's a bit hesitant about all this.

Hello computermorah:

If she is hesitant, trust us she will have more harm than any good. Read posts at Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs and see for yourself, every single Expert is asking to download MBAM and provide a Scan Log

Meaning: Those who don't have Even Free Version are helped. I believe you could understand well and won't get into scam

Oh, I think you are wonderful! I will probably end up going up to her home and helping her. She's one of my students and I've done it before. Thanks!

Hello computermorah:

If she is hesitant, trust us she will have more harm than any good. Read posts at Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs and see for yourself, every single Expert is asking to download MBAM and provide a Scan Log

Meaning: Those who don't have Even Free Version are helped. I believe you could understand well and won't get into scam