How to add exclusions to your AV

Guest garybear

Guest garybear

I have a dumb question. I'm not having any problems with up dating MBAM. I read all the topics and try to learn all my small brain can handle. I see the below message suggested all the time. I have xp3 and Avira. Where exactly do I add these.

Have you ever added the exceptions in your antivirus/internet security software? If not, go ahead and add them and see if it corrects the issue -

For Windows XP:

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll

* C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys

* C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Avira actually usually doesn't need any exclusions entered at all :) Are you using the AV or the Avira Internet Security Suite w/ firewall?

I've have Avira on a machine that I look after and I can't recall a place to enter exclusions but there probably is one. Have you looked? Should be a place to enter or add excluded files, programs, something like that.

Guest garybear

Hi friend! I have Avira free. Yes I have looked. I don't see any place to add exclusions. I'm glad to hear that Avira doesn't need this. I'll look again , but I'm clueless. Thank you for your reply. I also use Online Armor for firewall and I don't see a place to add them there either.

I really don't think you need them.

I asked around this forum when picking out a free AV for that machine I mentioned, and one of the reasons I chose Avira was because it gets along beautifully with Mbam :) The other being it's excellent heuristics and being a great AV.

That's good :) I just wanted to make sure you had the most current version.

If you want to go ahead, add the exclusions, but it shouldn't be necessary. At least not last I knew. :)

In - Scan , Add exceptions - Usually only needed in paid version -

In - Guard Add exceptions -

These may not be needed in the free version , unless you are getting problems like errors or slowdowns -

EDIT -Also make sure there are no Iobit programs left running on your ststem -

Unless this has been done with Chris in the other area then clear your router - (For XP systems) -

You may want to print or write these directions as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log Off)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

• Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    ?Under General tab:
  • Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".
  • Click OK twice to save the settings.
  • Reboot if you had to change any setting.

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet.

Guest garybear

Hi noknojon.

You lost me after the first paragraph my friend! I'm not having any problems. I'm only trying to learn new things and keep this senile old mind from getting more senile. If your telling me how to change my IP address, I get a new IP address every time I disconnect and reconnect to the internet. Not sure what your talking about with Chris. That topic is solved. He done a great job and I'm happy with what we done together. I have no infections at this time. I'm not allowed to talk about the other thing in your post, but it's not on my PC. Thank you for your reply friend! It's good to be back posting on the forum with all my new friends.

Guest garybear

Why are you saying that.

I thanked you for your reply. I could follow your instructions if I needed to. I don't have to do all that to get a new IP.

Have I said or done some thing to make you angry. I have taken your advice every time you have offered it

Everything is explained - If you can not apply the simple steps required , then maybe you should either take a course ,

(there are some very good ones offered for free) or stop asking us for instructions that you never will understand or follow ???????

Ps I can't make you like me but I really wish you would!!

Guest garybear

I want to thank everyone that posted a reply. I have learned some new things today. I thank you noknojon for your reply. I'm sure it will help someone wanting to change their IP. I'm still learning all this stuff. I didn't grow up with computers, but I can and will learn from my friends here on the forum!! :) :)

Oh, they're in the Bon Jovi song, It's My Life. The quote in my signature is part of the lyrics to that song :)

I am not quite sure who it is representative of though.

Guest garybear

Hi When I right click on MBAM in my tray, add to ignore list is grayed out. I have been searching the forum and it suggests allowing MABM in my firewall. I think that is done. This topic said need to add exceptions in Avira. I'm not sure what to add there. Can I get some help??

post-43884-1286471490_thumb.jpg