Latest Database

Where do I download the latest database of Malwarebytes so I can save it on a flash drive and run it on the infected computer? I currently have database version 4700 (9/26) on the infected computer (that won't go on the internet probably due to the virus). It's the "Antivirus IS" virus and I have scanned it with the Malwarebytes in safe mode, after running rkill and disabling proxy on the IE but it didn't find it. I am hoping that the latest database (10/2) will but can't find the latest update.

:welcome:

The download version of the database is several days behind. Most likely yours is up to date.

Is this the only place one can manually download the database?

http://www.gt500.org/malwarebytes/

That one is indeed several days old (9/26) as you mentioned. So there is no other place I can download the latest version?

I have spent the last 7 hours trying to get rid of this virus and I am really hoping the latest database will do the trick. I really appreciate all the help given that I have an exam for dental school on Monday and I really could use my own computer instead of this 10 year old laptop I am on.

Hello coolein: :welcome:

Please perform a Quick Scan in Normal Mode, if you can. MBAM by design works effictively in Normal Mode, don't use Safe Mode scanning unless an Expert asks. Please post back using MXyBj.png button

The virus won't let me. When I log on to normal mode and try to open MBAM it closes it. It also closes rkill when I try to open it.

Hello, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Hello coolein,

Alternatively, you can try this.

1. From a known clean computer, install (if it's currently not installed) and update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  2. Next, navigate to:
    XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\
    Vista: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  3. From that directory, copy the rules.ref file and move it over to a flash/thumb drive
  4. Plug the flash/thumb drive into the infected computer and paste the rules.ref file into the appropriate folder above
    Note: Be careful as your flash/thumb drive can become infected when using it on an infected computer.

This will ensure that you get the latest definitions onto the infected computer.

Regards,

Keith