• Root Admin

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

• 1 month later...

In searching for answers to this issue on the web, it looks like alot of people are having the issue, but there are no answers to help.

What is posted here does nothing but waste time.

I have had issues to the point where it was assumed a virus was causing the problem by blocking updates and installation and the PC was wiped and reloaded. Now, the same issue is back, after working for a week or so.

I pretty much give up on Malwarebytes...I can say it worked when it worked, but this has been silly.

Hi -

As you do not supply your operating system , antivirus or any firewall installed , please try this -

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Thank You -

Sorry, XP and AVG.

Tried this as well, no dice. There is no rules.ref file present, I tried a search on the entire machine, no dice.

The program would run earlier but not update. Now won't run at all. Same Error.

I have an old laptop running Win2K Pro and it started doing this at about the same time as the desktop did.

I have also tried installing it in SAFE mode withtout AVG running, same issue.

If you still have problems please follow these steps -

Here are some steps to diagnose update issues:

Step 1

Click on this link and let me know what it says. It should be just a 4-digit number in the upper-left corner.

Step 2

Please download and run the traceroute utility at this link. It will run a traceroute to our update servers to see if it can find the connection issue, and then it will write it to a log, and open that log in Notepad when it is done. Please either save the log as a Text File and then attach it to a reply, or copy and paste it into a reply, and I will forward it on to our server guy.

Note that it may take several minutes to run, and it may look like it is not doing anything for a few minutes. Normally it takes longer when there are errors that it has to log, but it's rare for it to go more than 10 minutes.

Step 3

Please download TCPView from Microsoft at this link.

This utility will monitor everything that is accessing the Internet or your local network. All you have to do is run TCPView, and then run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and start the update. Watch TCPView to see if mbam.exe shows up in the list. It will be pretty obvious, because it highlights it in green.

I need to know what "Remote Address" Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is trying to connect to. Once it shows up in the list, you can right-click on the line for mbam.exe, and select 'Copy' in order to paste it into a reply. It will tell me what I need to know. Below is an example of what the line you are looking for will look like inside the following code box:

mbam.exe:3656	TCP	vista-x64:52135	cdn-208-111-168-7.ord.llnw.net:http	ESTABLISHED

Name: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Address: 68.232.45.133

This is the final IP you are hoping to get - You have been redirected , most likely due to a router infection/problem -
DNS Info Server: bacchus.bright.net Address: 209.143.22.182 Name: ne1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net Address: 72.21.81.133 Aliases: edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com, wpc.1D00.edgecastcdn.net gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net

You may want to print or save these directions to Notepad as you will disconnect from the internet for a while -

1. Very important: First disconnect your computer from the internet. (Log Off)

2. Router Reset: Next you must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

3. Reset the IP/DNS settings of your interent connection:

Note : If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.

Download this Microsoft Item and follow its directions

4. Flush the DNS cache:

• Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run , or press Windows Key + R
  • In the command window copy/paste the following:
    ipconfig /flushdns

• Then hit enter.
  • Exit the command window.

5. Reconnect: Once you have followed all the above steps you can reconnect your computer to the internet.

Please post your results back -

Thank You -

EDIT -

If this will not fix the problem then our experts can review your system for you -

Hi -

Sorry but this shows that another infection is redirecting your updates/scans - Step 1 = 4759 This was the only good result -

Please follow these instructions to remove the infections that are causing the problem -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under Options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

Not trying to be sarcastic here, and I do thank you for the help, but your last post starts out with directions to install MBAM and update then run it.....thats the issue to begin with, why would I do that for the 10th time?

Everything else I have is running and updating just fine, so I am begining to think this program has more problems than solutions. I'm just going to clean it off my system and move on. I have anti-virus and spyware running, so hopefully that catches it. Sorry, I'm not ungrateful, but just don't need to waste any more time.

Thanks.

Hi -

You are welcome to uninstall the program as you see fit - The only reason I listed to seek further help (follow the directions Here,) is that several known infections do target at disabling this program -

I added this line (skipping any steps you are unable to complete.) as sometimes you cannot enable certain diagnostic items listed there -

I hope you do not have an infection and can continue with your other installed programs -

Thank you for visiting -

Since I am not the only one having a problem updating, I am going to leave MalWareBytes uninstalled for a few weeks while the dust settles. Hopefully, by that time there will be a clean update available. I, too, received a data base error during update which left MalWareBytes unrunnable. Removing and reinstalling MalWareBytes only duplicated that condition. Something is wrong and I'll give support time to fix. I have other software protection available for the intervening time.

Hello Foggy Croaker: :o

Please start your own new topic, even if the issue is identical. 99.99% of these problems are due to incorrect settings or some infection that has already seeped through

Please post back using PogTD.png with following details and someone will help you:

1. OS version including 32/64-bit
  2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall