Freezing issues

Anyone that is having freezing issues and would like to try a new version, please private message me. We might just have this solved.

Hi, I pm'd you yesterday about a problem I am having with Malwarebytes freezing when it gets to a certain file, the recycle bin, which is empty. It has done this every time I try a full scan but is able to complete a quick scan no problem and comes back clean. On the full scan it finds one problem, I don't know what it is as no log file is created because of the freeze. The malwarebytes freeze is not affecting the pc just the program itself. I am using version 1.22 database version 982.

I am using XP pro sp3, Firefox 3.0.1 and IE7.

Security; Avira free, Superantispyware, Spywareblaster, Spybot S&D and Zonealarm ..... All up to date and no problems reported after scans.

Here's a picture of the freeze and task manager ............

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/li...iger/Freeze.jpg

and what it's freezing on ................

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/li...er/Recycler.jpg

I'm wondering what the object is that it's finding and why it's not found in a quick scan and also of course why it's freezing a few thousand objects later at the recycle bin. Thanks.

Glad it worked :).

I'm afraid that's not the case, all I did was navigate to the file that it was freezing on ( recycler ), right clicked it and

' scan with malwarebytes ' ...... this gave the result as in my last post. I have tried the full scan since and it is freezing in exactly the same place. :)

When it freezes, are you able to terminate the process?

Abort scan and exit do not work but if I click on the x top right it will bring up the 'program not responding' end program box.

Clicking 'end program' will close malwarebytes. It's not using any cpu when frozen but showing about 24K memory usage.

We will be releasing 1.23 shortly, please tell me if the same occurs with that version.

Yes I'll let you know, thanks.

A new development .......... It always used to freeze at the same place (recycler) which I assume is the recycle bin, it has the same icon anyway. On the desktop I right clicked the recycle bin clicked properties and moved the slider for maximum size of recycle bin to Zero. I then gave it another full scan and it scanned past the point where it had the problem with 'recycler' and scanned another 150 objects before it decided to freeze on this.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/li...er/NewPlace.jpg

i would try "disabling" the recycle bin and see if that solves the problem.. to do that, rightclick on "recycle bin" and adjust the setting, setting it to "do not move files to recyclye bin".. maybe that will empty the recycle bin of the file that is causing the problem..

i would try "disabling" the recycle bin and see if that solves the problem.. to do that, rightclick on "recycle bin" and adjust the setting, setting it to "do not move files to recyclye bin".. maybe that will empty the recycle bin of the file that is causing the problem..

Thanks for your reply, I tried what you suggested but it still froze at the same place as in my last post past where the recycle bin froze it, but as you can see http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/li...iger/Volinf.jpg , no infection has been found. I was able to track it down using a web cam to video the point where it froze. It was a program to reduce the size of mp3 files and thought it was safe as I got it from download . com , who I thought were 'safe'.

To RubbeR DuckY ......... I have downloaded version 1.23 with the same results I'm afraid !! , must be my pc :(

Here's what it found by the way .........

Files Infected:

c:\program files\mp3reducer\mp3_reducer_single.exe (Spyware.Banker) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

tiger8lion, are you using norton "systemworks"? if so, it has a special "recycle bin" of its own.. maybe it is causing some kind of conflict, there, with your recycle bin..

No Norton on my machine, tried 2005 version of it, worst piece of software I've used apart from maybe Windows ME and so never again. The recycle bin is no longer a problem, it's going past that and freezing a bit later on ..........

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u231/li...iger/Volinf.jpg

If it's fine for others then I can only assume there is some problem with my pc. For the time being I have uninstalled Malwarebytes. The file that came up as infected by Malwarebytes was given a scan by Superantispyware and Avira but neither found anything.

freezing/pausing problem back again on XP SP3 system... was working ok after 1.23 auto update... but then did database update later in day and decided to try Full Scan and it's back to the same issue of freezing/pausing, same with the quick scan... very strange...

Quick scan will often stall at mbam.dll for about 15 seconds (non-responding), then continue but stall again and again so the whole quick scan takes a very long time. During the stall (non-responding according to task manager) mbam cpu usage is zero, but I suspect this is incorrect as the system overall seems sluggish.

In safe mode the same pausing happens, but when it pauses total cpu usage stays at +50% even though mbam is at 0 cpu and is the only process using the cpu. This only happens with mbam. Clearly it is not reading actual mbam cpu usage correctly and mbam is using cpu cycles when it stalls/non-responds.

• Root Admin

xoxo, can you please try this. Download DebugView and extract it to your desktop. Run the executable. Under the Capture menu, make sure all options are checked, especially Capture Kernel. Once you have checked Capture Kernel, restart the program, click on the Capture menu again and click Enable Verbose Kernel Output.

Now, leave DebugView running and run a quick scan. During the quick scan, DebugView should produce contents. After the quick scan freezes, wait 2 minutes and switch to DebugView. Please save a log file and private message it to me.

• 2 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED ........ for me anyway. Only found out by accident really with the help of someone on a forum that I visit regularly ......... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=864908 . I was scanning with Kaspersky online scanner when it froze at the same point. The conflict is with Zonealarm, using Comodo now, full scan completes and comes back clean ......... faith somewhat restored in Malwarebytes :D