Restoring Hosts file?

franki

Yes that is the screen that I mean YoKenny1, thank you :P

I have a fair number of exclusions shown in mine, or at least I did until I hit "overwrite". I can still go to the excluded sites but the URL's do not show in that screen.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ShyWriter

I have never used Peter Lowes AdServers list nor MalwareDomainList.

hpHosts uses MalwareDomainList as one of its update sources.

I wish I had MysteryFCM's handle on the future. :P

post-100-1277404683_thumb.png

As far as I know, under "Open Hosts" (or Edit, I can't remember exactly) and then when you click #Disabled, the list that shows up is one's exclusion list.

You made a wrong assumption about the "Disabled" filter in HostsMan Editor. Can't blame you, the documentation is pretty bad.

The "Disabled" filter shows the entries that are disabled (commented). The "Exclusion List" doesn't disable entries you add to the list, it completely removes them from the hosts file.

Rui,

Oh. :P

Yeah, what I had thought was my excluded list anyway, always showed up under that excluded list in the #Disabled screen shot that YoKenny1 posted.

I like that list though, because I can see what I have excluded and change it if I want to.

What is the #Disabled screen for, then?

Rui,

/edit

Sorry, I had to read your reply again to get what you meant.

I don't really care if the entries I want are excluded or disabled; I just want to be able to get to some sites but I don't necessarily want them completely taken out of the Hosts file, which is what I think the #Disabled screen is for. I would also like to be able to see a list of the disabled sites, which I do not have that list showing any longer since I hit overwrite.

Is the #Disabled screen then for items you don't want excluded but DO want disabled? That's basically what I want here, an easy way to disable Hosts entries.

Now I realize that disabled and excluded are not interchangeable words in this situation (and most situations I guess), and I had erroneously been using them to mean the same thing.

:P

Is the #Disabled screen then for items you don't want excluded but DO want disabled? That's basically what I want here, an easy way to disable Hosts entries.

The "Disable" button is just a filter and what it does is to only show the entries that are disabled in the hosts file.

If you want to disable an entry, you simply click on the box that appears on the left of the entry. When you go to the "Disable" screen, the entry that you just disabled should appear there. To re-enable, click on the box again.

Thanks Rui, that's great ;)

I hope I'm not taking up too much of your time, but I am still confused as to what happened to my #Disabled screen, so maybe you might have an answer (at your leisure, no hurry here).

I am not sure if you've had a chance to look through this thread at all, but about three days ago I decided to try out using the "overwrite" option when I updated HostsMan (instead of the "merge" option that I have used these last 6 months) and I lost the ability to see my #Disabled list. I had saved a copy of my HostsFile prior to that, and once I put it back in, I could see my #Disabled list again. Then I updated one more time, chose "Merge" and again I cannot see my #Disabled list but I can get to those sites.

Do you know what might have happened or what I can do to fix this? If you need me to further explain anything or give you screen shots, I would be more than happy to do so. Sometimes I don't describe things very well if I am confused myself :P

Rui,

Get some sleep! :P Yes, you can edit posts, after having made 50 posts. Considering who you are, I would think that if you PM one of the Administrators, such as AdvancedSetup on the board, you could probably be given that ability sooner (I am not positive though).

Sorry, when I say "Disable button" I meant "Disabled screen". I'm tired...

By the way, is it possible to edit posts?

It takes 50 posts to enable editing and then you will become an Honorary Member.

This is due to previous posters spamming. :P

I am not sure if you've had a chance to look through this thread at all, but about three days ago I decided to try out using the "overwrite" option when I updated HostsMan (instead of the "merge" option that I have used these last 6 months) and I lost the ability to see my #Disabled list. I had saved a copy of my HostsFile prior to that, and once I put it back in, I could see my #Disabled list again. Then I updated one more time, chose "Merge" and again I cannot see my #Disabled list but I can get to those sites.

Do you know what might have happened or what I can do to fix this? If you need me to further explain anything or give you screen shots, I would be more than happy to do so. Sometimes I don't describe things very well if I am confused myself :P

Did you add anything to the "Exclusion List" (from the main window, menu "Tools" > "Exclusion List")?

Yes, you can edit posts, after having made 50 posts. Considering who you are, I would think that if you PM one of the Administrators, such as AdvancedSetup on the board, you could probably be given that ability sooner (I am not positive though).

Oh, ok. No need to bother anyone just so that I can edit my posts. I'll earn that right like everybody else. ;)

Rui,

Nope, I don't think I added anything to the exclusions list at all in the manner that you described.

I was taught to exclude (well actually now I know that it is disabling) a host entry on HostsMan, I go to edit on the right side of the main screen, then search, and then click #Disabled once I've highlighted the entry that I wish to disable, so that is what I have been doing to disable host entries so that I can go to otherwise blocked/hindered sites (such as Facebook [i know, I know] and a blog site that I go to, as well as several other sites.

Rui,

Thanks :P No worries, like I said I am in no hurry and I greatly appreciate your assistance and help here ;)

If you need any other information about this, be sure to let me know!

Rui,

Nope, I don't think I added anything to the exclusions list at all in the manner that you described.

I was taught to exclude (well actually now I know that it is disabling) a host entry on HostsMan, I go to edit on the right side of the main screen, then search, and then click #Disabled once I've highlighted the entry that I wish to disable, so that is what I have been doing to disable host entries so that I can go to otherwise blocked/hindered sites (such as Facebook [i know, I know] and a blog site that I go to, as well as several other sites.

I did several tests and HostsMan did delete disabled entries in one test. Going to fix this in the next version.

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know, Rui :o

If it helps you any, I have an XP Home, SP3 system that I am using it on.

I had an oldish version of my hosts file, so I ran that, then I updated HostsMan, used merge, and my disabled list is back, I only had to disable one other thing to get it back the way it was. I'm glad that I had that.

Do you have an idea of when the next version might be out? Just curious because I would love to be able to overwrite and keep my disabled list ;) It's okay though, I am perfectly content using merge ;)

Do you have an idea of when the next version might be out? Just curious because I would love to be able to overwrite and keep my disabled list ;) It's okay though, I am perfectly content using merge :o

All I can say is that it's still going to take awhile. Depends on the time I have free to work on it...

I did several tests and HostsMan did delete disabled entries in one test. Going to fix this in the next version.

XP Pro is so much better than XP Home. ;)

Then Windows 7 64-bit is quantum leaps better. :o

Hope you convince hubby that you need a new computer. :o

post-100-1277569267_thumb.png

Rui,

Okay. I was just wondering ;) I'm happy with it the way it is for now :o Thanks again for your help!!

YoKenny1,

Well our computer works totally fine (although we do get frustrated with it sometimes, but for the most part its faster than it was and running well), its supported for almost another 4 years, so there's no need to get another one right now.

Especially when there's not really the money for one right now.