MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12004, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)

I am using Windows 7 Ult. 32Bit with all current updates.

And I have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46 installed - no updates because I can't update it.

When I try to update, I get the following error:

---------------------------

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

---------------------------

An error has occurred. Please report this error code to our support team.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12004, 0, WinHttpSendRequest)

(And here's the image in case someone things I mis-pasted the error)

MalWareUpdateError0.jpg

I have tried proxies with no luck.

I have changed DNS between my ISP's, OPEN-DNS and a few others with no change.

A WireShark Dump is available

http://www.niblet.org/support/MalWareWireSharkDump.pcap

My IP is showing as 192.168.1.69 (natted from our ISP's "cable modem"

208.67.222.222 - is OPENDNS's

I also did a ipconfig /flushdns with no change in luck

I saw in the capture that it was looking up the following hostnames ...

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

>mwbyte.vollnwd.net

llnw.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

>mwbyte.vollnwd.net

edge.data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

>wpc.1D00.edgecastcdn.net

>gs1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net

>ne1.wpc.edgecastcdn.net

I see that the name servers for malwarebytes.org are the following:

Name Server:NS3.P01.DYNECT.NET - 208.78.71.1

Name Server:NS1.P01.DYNECT.NET - 208.78.70.1

Name Server:NS2.P01.DYNECT.NET - 204.13.250.1

Name Server:NS4.P01.DYNECT.NET - 204.13.251.1

I had done some NSLOOKUPS on the above mbamupdates.com hostnames and ran into some weirdness but I would think this would affect everyone and not just me which is why I flushed my dns cache.

Any ideas on what is happening here? I almost fee like its not communicating with their servers in the right way.

Of the posts I have found CLOSE to this, I have tried the suggestions.

I have uninstall MWB, I used the clean up program and have re-installed with no change.

Disabling the firewall has no effect.

Any ideas/thoughts on this one?

What anti-virus software are you using?

AVG 9.0.819 - updated daily.

I have also disabled the following components when trying to update:

* Resident Shield

* Link Scanner (AVG Search Shield (both))

* E-mail Scanner (in & out)

Also UAC has been disabled

I know that I am not the only one that is having this and similar errors (although the error code changes - 12xxx).

Others said wait for the release version that I am using and yet it still remains.

I have no problems with Malwarebytes on XP-SP3.

But so far, its just not happening for me on Win7.

Does anyone know of other decent alternatives?

Hi PhilG -

I have spent a bit of time lately looking at the problem as several Win 7 users are getting this error (not just from Malwarebytes) -

Some other software and security programs (Kaspersky / Adobe to name 2) report having similar problems with Win 7 - (12004 error) -

Here is the link to the Kaspersky forum / discussion topic - Do Not Use the Combofix advice listed here -

The advice from Kaspersky was similar to this, also the user had no problems with their earlier Windows versions (XP and Vista) -

You can try to Un/Re install the program if you like as this has solved the problem sometimes -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Thank You - :)

Hi PhilG -

I have spent a bit of time lately looking at the problem as several Win 7 users are getting this error (not just from Malwarebytes) -

Some other software and security programs (Kaspersky / Adobe to name 2) report having similar problems with Win 7 - (12004 error) -

The advice from Kaspersky was similar to this, also the user had no problems with their earlier Windows versions (XP and Vista) -

You can try to Un/Re install the program if you like as this has solved the problem sometimes -

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

I just completed those steps (rebooting when prompted of course) and still having the same issue..

Re-downloaded the installation package just to rule out corruption.

I wish it were as simple as downloading a file and pointing the product to that file.

*THAT* would at least let me get updated.

Hi Phil -

I just listed the Kaspersky forum link above in my other post - Please do not use the Combofix advice listed there -

If you want us to check along those lines please post in the Hijack This area of the forum and list your problem -

mwbyte.vollnwd.net seems to not be an infection - (from Symantic scan site)

But I can not tell you what it is - Maybe an expert (or other) will have advice on this -

EDIT - 4095 is the current update -

Also please use ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when responding to a post - Thanks -

I know I have listed a link to Kaspersky with similar problems , but I think you need to have an EXPERT to review your system -

We can do this for you if you wish as there may be deeper problems that relate to your errors -

You can follow the blue links below and then they will review the problems (free) for you -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Add a note about the problem (updating and error messages) so they get a good idea of the problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I think I'm going to have to follow your latest advice too.

I had the same problem - Windows 7 wasn't playing nice with MBAM. I followed your first set of advice (uninstall, then download the clean version). That worked... once. After that one success, the version of MBAM had the same problem as before: it wouldn't download updates, and then it wouldn't even load.

I know I have listed a link to Kaspersky with similar problems , but I think you need to have an EXPERT to review your system -

We can do this for you if you wish as there may be deeper problems that relate to your errors -

You can follow the blue links below and then they will review the problems (free) for you -

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

Add a note about the problem (updating and error messages) so they get a good idea of the problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Here's a bit of history. When I setup a new OS, I will use a fresh install and then apply all microsoft updates to that date. I then install what software I need, clean up temp files, defrag and make an image of the system drive.

I had fairly recently gotten hit by some web script which installed malware. Malwarebytes cleaned it up well but something was still lurking around that it wasn't finding the final bit. So, rather than continue on, i just backup my important data (no programs) and re-imaged the drive.

I updated the AV software and scanned ALL drives to be sure nothing else was lurking in that respect. It found nothing (but then it did not alert on the malware that the web script installed (which somehow bypassed firefox's noscript plugin))

This is where I am now. I had installed Malwarebytes to finish the scan on a newly re-imaged c: drive. just to be sure. I had it verify the data as it wrote it out. Its going to suck if my image is now corrupted.

I had this error when I originally went to Windows 7 but just went back to XP for a while figuring it would be fixed. It worked on the 2nd installation of Windows 7.

But your reply has given me an idea and I want to check into that before I go have someone dig further into the system.

I

I had this error when I originally went to Windows 7 but just went back to XP for a while figuring it would be fixed. It worked on the 2nd installation of Windows 7.

But your reply has given me an idea and I want to check into that before I go have someone dig further into the system.

I looked at the packet capture of a machine that successfully updates. I was able to get the refs file which allowed me to manually update.

In both captures ... data-cdn.mbamupdates.com resolves to the CNAME of mwbyte.vollnwd.net

That is where the two stop being the same. On mine it continues to try and connect to other machine names.

And I am guessing that is what the error is - that it was not able to send the http request but good luck in finding out what 12004 means exactly.

The other machine makes that connection ...

queries the DB version of MWB

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v0/database/version.check

and then downloads it...

http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/v0/databas.../rules.4099.ref

noknojon, thanks for the help and I'll hit that site after this weekend.

I would like to get this resolved so that others may have something else to try.

• 2 weeks later...

noknojon,

While following those steps, I looked over the data pretty well and didn't see anything that seemed out of line. I chased around on things I wasn't familiar with only to find that they were part of Windows 7 (I never jumped to vista so there were things I had not seen before)

BTW, thanks for those, some I had (and needed to update) and some are now added to my arsenal to check the system out.

I decided today to re-image on the chance that something did in fact get corrupted on the re-image or in the off chance there was something hanging around. I didn't care which was the cause.

I immediately installed Malwarebytes and it can update without issue at this time (updated to 4131).

While this solution may not help others it does point to either something getting on the system or something becoming corrupted.

Why SFC and other tools didn't find anything wrong is beyond me.

If threads need to be closed - close this.