Wired and Wireless Router

hc6700

I have a small home network with a Desktop PC and a Wireless Laptop. I have a Linksys Cable Modem and a Linksys WRT150N Wireless Router. My desktop is hard wired to the router and I had been connecting wirelessly with my laptop. I live in a large apartment complex and have been targeted by someone who is trying to hack into my router. I now hard wire my laptop connection.

My question: Since I'm now using a wired connection with both my desktop and laptop (via my wireless router) would a wired router give me more security. Or once I'm hard wired to a router, does it give me the same amount of security regardless if it's wired or wireless.

Thanks

HC

• Root Admin

Actually it doesn't matter if you're wired or not if someone is attempting to hack the wireless router.

You would need to disable the wireless portion for it to make a difference.

However - that is not the issue. Just enable WPA2 with 256bit and no one will be breaking into it remotely.

Also ensure you setup a long complex password.

You should have a manual that came with the unit that will describe in detail how to set that up. In fact it probably also comes with an installation Wizard to set that up.

Linksys WRT150N Wireless-N Home Router

Linksys also offers free 24/7 Technical Support for helping you get it setup and secured.

Hope that helps and let us know if you need further information or assistance.

Go into your router menu and have a look at the options available.For linksys i think its 192.168.1.1 in your address bar.

You should then be able to do as suggested,turn off wireless and it may also be wise to set it up so your computers have reserved IP`s(you need to do this with the computer as well) and turn of DHCP.Also you could enable MAC filtering.

Matty

• Root Admin
Go into your router menu and have a look at the options available.For linksys i think its 192.168.1.1 in your address bar.

You should then be able to do as suggested,turn off wireless and it may also be wise to set it up so your computers have reserved IP`s(you need to do this with the computer as well) and turn of DHCP.Also you could enable MAC filtering.

Matty

Well in my opinion that's way overkill and not needed. There is no known, published hack of WPA2 that I'm aware of. At this time it is very secure when enabled.

Not using DHCP and enabling MAC filtering is child's play to bypass on a router that is not secured in the first place.

Unfortunately guys, my laptop is 5 years old and has WEP. I think it's best for me to stay wired right now. But if I do go wireless in the future I do have 2 follow up questions.

Matty said: 'You should then be able to do as suggested,turn off wireless and it may also be wise to set it up so your computers have reserved IP`s(you need to do this with the computer as well) and turn of DHCP.Also you could enable MAC filtering.

1 - I turned off the wireless network on my router. What do you mean by reserved IPs, what does that do for me and how do I set that up?

2 - Also, I turned off SSID broadcast. Is there any negative side to that.

Thanks

HC

• Root Admin
Unfortunately guys, my laptop is 5 years old and has WEP. I think it's best for me to stay wired right now. But if I do go wireless in the future I do have 2 follow up questions.

Matty said: 'You should then be able to do as suggested,turn off wireless and it may also be wise to set it up so your computers have reserved IP`s(you need to do this with the computer as well) and turn of DHCP.Also you could enable MAC filtering.

1 - I turned off the wireless network on my router. What do you mean by reserved IPs, what does that do for me and how do I set that up?

2 - Also, I turned off SSID broadcast. Is there any negative side to that.

Thanks

HC

The items Matty was speaking of is ASSIGNED IP addresses instead of Dynamcally being assigned. Again, this is NOT a secure setup and is easy as heck even for a novice user to bypass. Disabling SSID is also not secure.

Basically you would go into the router configuration page and there should be an option to DISABLE the wireless portion which would be a good idea, or at least turn on WPA2 even if you're not using it. Do one or the other but don't leave it in either unsecured or in WEP as WEP can easily be broken into now days.

You could possibly purchase a 3rd party Network card for your laptop that does support WPA2

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions-

1- If my dektop is plugged into the same router that my wireless router is plugged into- if someone hacks into the wireless router, can they also get into my dektop?

2- I also have a laptop that connects to the internet wirelessly using that wireless router - im starting to do banking online and was wondering - my current security is wpa2 - is it possible that someone can hack in - if so - if when i do by banking online - should i connect straight into the wireless router or just the regular router or would there be no difference in security.

3- i heard that for better security- you should set your wireless router to not show/broadcast (seem invisible) i tried that but had a hard time finding it when i used my friends computer - i.e. if i make it invisible - how do i connect to it

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

WPA2 is currently very secure. If using that on the laptop your fine.

If all you have is WEP for the other device then I would not use it period as there are tools to break into it very quickly.

You should also make sure you always type in the address for your banking, never use a link from an e-mail or another site.

As for broadcasting the ssid of the router or not it really doesn't matter if you're using WPA2 AES as it won't be any more secure by not broadcasting it.