Updater Problem MBAM Pro 1.45: Error code 12002

Hello:

I have been following related threads since 3/29, but since I received a slightly different error code (12002), I thought it best to start a new thread. Kindly excuse me if this was not the right procedure to follow.

ISSUE:

"Scheduled update failed: WinHttpReceiveResponse failed with error code 12002" happened last night at 21:00 on my Dell XPS 8100 (OEM W7 Ult (x64)), which is my main system and the only one that is up and running ~continuously.

I successfully updated (all 3 systems!) to v.1.45 earlier this week. Everything seemed fine.

Scheduler is set to update hourly, with a notification balloon for successful updates, and I am pretty sure it is/was working fine.

However, I reviewed my protection logs just now and saw the error message from last night.

This was the only time I received an update error since updating to 1.45, and, as you can see from the attached screenshot, there was a successful update an hour after it happened, at 22:06 (but none since).

The database version is currently 3945 (4/1/2010), and I have not tried to manually update yet, since I am waiting to see if the scheduler is actually working for update checks (scheduled scans are working fine).

There have been no IP blocks or other events, no symptoms suggestive of infection, and all scans (MBAM, SAS, McAfee) are clean.

QUESTION:

Was this just a "hiccup" or is there a problem with MBAM Pro 1.45 on this box?

Happy to provide more info, if needed.

TIA & thanks for the great product, as always,

daledoc1

It looks to me like everything is fine, I'm guessing it just had issues connecting that once for some reason as that error indicates that the connection to the server timed out. The current database is 3945 so your system is up to date.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you don't get update errors consistently.

Hi, Exile360:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

That's pretty much what I thought.

Can you please clarify, though, what the protection log should show when the scheduler is set to check hourly?

IOW, I don't see the log entries for the hourly checks. Should there be an entry for each time it checks (as I might have expected), or only for those times when there is an actual update?

My computer's power settings are configured to NEVER put the computer to sleep (although the display is set to go to standby). And I am running the MBAM Pro 1.45 active protection module.

But I do not have the MBAM scheduler configured to "wake the computer" for update checks.

Is that why I don't see the hourly update checks being logged?

Or is what I'm seeing "normal"?

Thanks,

daledoc1

What you're seeing is quite normal, the only times you'll see entries from the scheduler in the protection logs is when one of two conditions is true:

• A scheduled task (such as a scan or update) is completed successfully (in the case of updates, this means a new database was actually downloaded)
  • A scheduled task failed for some reason, which will be accompanied by an error message and error code

Normal checks for updates when no new database is available will not show entries in the protection logs.

I too am getting this error. (12002, 0, WinHttpRecieveResponse). My AntiVirus is up to date and I have run a full scan with no problems. attached is my mbam collected information. any attempts over the past 2 weeks to update malwarebytes have been a no go for me. re-downloaded malwarebytes and installed but no good.

mbam_info.txt

Greetings Karpman and welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus and firewall software to see if it resolves the issue:

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

If that doesn't fix the problem then please check to see if your antivirus/firewall use any sort of web filter, and if they do, please set them to trust the following web address:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Please let me know how it goes.

Dear all:

I encounter same problem.

Please help me to check!

I use WinXP Pro X64. I added the exception path & file list in my AVG Antivirus already.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll\

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys\

C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref\

David Yip

LJ Computer Systems

post-32837-1270624796_thumb.jpg

mbam_info.txt

• 11 months later...