Panda Cloud Antivirus

Ibrad

Due to the fact I did not want to bring the What's your security thread off topic I will make a thread about Panda.

Now everyone knows that I use Panda Cloud Antivirus and I recommend it to others. Now a few time people tell me Panda cloud won't work if you have no net, your cloud AV use's other companys to make it's signatures, and that Panda Cloud is not protecting anyone. I would like to attempt to clear up any of the misunderstanding about how Panda Cloud works.

1. Panda Cloud does not work without an internet connection.

This is false, Panda keeps a local cache of antivirus on your machine and updates about once a day. That way if you are offline you are still protected.

2. Panda Users other company's signatures.

This is also false, who whole database comes from Panda Labs servers.

3. Panda is uploading my data to the Panda Servers.

This is not true, Panda is only sending PE files (.exe .dll) to Panda labs. Plus it's not sending the full file just hash data.

4. Panda does not have good detection rates.

No one currently knows how good Panda detection rates are. AV-C will start testing Panda once again this year and then we will find out. Till then we got youtube reviews and I say Panda has around the detection around most AV's.

5. The Cloud is unsafe, it will go down at times

Panda Labs has different servers around the world. They did not put all there data in one server.

So what is everyone's thoughts on this program?

I have never felt good about free antivirus programs personally, but everything I read at ICSA and the Panda site, actually sounds pretty good in that only new programs are referred to the "could" whereas there is software onboard. In that case Panda has always been a capable Antivirus program.

http://research.pandasecurity.com/argument...ased-antivirus/

http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2010/03/16/...loud-antivirus/

Hmm, different then what I thought. Seems more like Immunet. I was adding that to my site that I'm building. Now I might reconsider. If it's stored in the cache, it could be cleared out rendering a pc unprotected. Personally I would recommend something such as MSE or Avira. Something that always has a database whether online or not.

Actually the local copy of the malware is stored in the Panda Cloud program files. It is not wiped out when the PC is rebooted. The cache contains only active malware so it won't detect malware from 5 years ago that is not seen when you are offline. Besides most newer malware infects a PC when it's online.

Actually the local copy of the malware is stored in the Panda Cloud program files. It is not wiped out when the PC is rebooted. The cache contains only active malware so it won't detect malware from 5 years ago that is not seen when you are offline. Besides most newer malware infects a PC when it's online.

Nor will it work on new programs installed either....without being hooked to the internet.

Good to know. :P

I choose an anti virus application based on its capabilities and effectiveness.

Can you Trust Free Anti-Virus?

http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/04/can-you-trust-free-anti-virus

Who is Vince Steckler?

http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/welcome-and-why-i-joined-avast

No cloud anti virus for me.

Who is Vince Steckler?

When don't you talk about avast? :)

Who is Vince Steckler?

I have to agree with the article that FREE AV are not necessarily deficient in all the functions the article deals with, but that isn't my problem with them. What I have found is they are reactive as opposed to proactive and therefore provide little or no protection "at the gate". So the method is let in and remove vs repel at the gate as Nod32 Bit Defender and Kaspersky do. That is where the difference lies.

I have to agree with the article that FREE AV are not necessarily deficient in all the functions the article deals with, but that isn't my problem with them. What I have found is they are reactive as opposed to proactive and therefore provide little or no protection "at the gate". So the method is let in and remove vs repel at the gate as Nod32 Bit Defender and Kaspersky do. That is where the difference lies.

Well yes, they provide less protection compared to the paid ones. But companies such as avast and avira provide watered down versions so to say at no cost. These are mostly for people who don't have protection or are on a limited budget. So it's nice to something offered for free.

Well yes, they provide less protection compared to the paid ones. But companies such as avast and avira provide watered down versions so to say at no cost. These are mostly for people who don't have protection or are on a limited budget. So it's nice to something offered for free.

Actually I can't speak for Avast but I was a reseller for Avg for years and there is no difference at all in the Antivirus, only the update feature was different.

Actually I can't speak for Avast but I was a reseller for Avg for years and there is no difference at all in the Antivirus, only the update feature was different.

The free version offers rootkit protection now. However avast has a web shield plus that and more. Avg only offers the web shield in the paid anti-virus. Personally I like avast compared to avg. Avg is a major resource hog.

From what I understand AVG Technologies has not added rootkit scanning to it's freeware - according to a mod on the AVG Free forum versions 8, 8.x and the new version 9 detect some basic rootkits, but you need to buy one of the paid products for proper rootkit protection. This chart nicely shows the differences between the three products they offer: hxxp://www.avg.com.au/products/avg-anti-virus-free/

Personally I'm not very stuck on AVG. It does not have overly wonderful detection or removal IMO, and it is a bit of a resource hog. Each to their own though - my father swears by it!

From what I understand AVG Technologies has not added rootkit scanning to it's freeware - according to a mod on the AVG Free forum versions 8, 8.x and the new version 9 detect some basic rootkits, but you need to buy one of the paid products for proper rootkit protection. This chart nicely shows the differences between the three products they offer: hxxp://www.avg.com.au/products/avg-anti-virus-free/

Personally I'm not very stuck on AVG. It does not have overly wonderful detection or removal IMO, and it is a bit of a resource hog. Each to their own though - my father swears by it!

Well, that's kinda not cool. I didn't realize the rookit scanner was that bad. But still avast/avira/mse all have that and aren't limited. I would go with ether of them. Avg really needs to keep up with the times. Most companies are way ahead of them. They really need to rethink their whole marketing/protection plan.

Edit: Changed some language. :)

I agree with you Buttons, on all points.

EDIT - Kenny94 - Yes high numbers of (slow to be corrected) FPs are another gripe I have about AVG (without wanting to turn this into an AVG bashing thread because it is each to their own at the end of the day). There is currently an issue on the AVG forum with some legitimate Hewlett Packard files being falsely detected too.