CreateFile failed with error code 5 on Server

Hello all,

I installed malwarebytes on a Windows 2003 R2 server replacing Counterspy and lo and behold I received a CreateFile failed with error code 5 when I rebooted and the malwarebytes tried to go to protection mode.

My file servers are dynamic disk (striping at RAID 5) so I cannot convert them to basic disks.

When will this be fixed so we can put this excellent product on servers with dynamic disks?

Thank you,

Kelly Wilke

Hello.

Do you still have remnants of CounterSpy on your system (files, folders), or any other security program?

Hello all,

No I do not.

I uninstalled Counterspy, deleted the files and the registry settings, ran a registry cleaner, rebooted, then installed Malwarebytes.

Thanks,

Kelly Wilke

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications and their potential for harming your OS far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance.

There are a many available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Without research into what the registry entry selected for deletion is, a registry cleaner can end up being an automated method to cause problems with the registry.

For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

With that said, the security of your computer might be too high. Which is disallowing the activity of the program.

Please navigate to this webpage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 and see the section "Fix it for me" and click the Microsoft Fix-It button. This will download a fix utility to repair the security settings on your computer, due to damages of malware or other harmful system changes. Install the file after download.

Then, attempt what you were trying to do before. Let me know if you get that error, again.

• Root Admin
Hello all,

I installed malwarebytes on a Windows 2003 R2 server replacing Counterspy and lo and behold I received a CreateFile failed with error code 5 when I rebooted and the malwarebytes tried to go to protection mode.

My file servers are dynamic disk (striping at RAID 5) so I cannot convert them to basic disks.

When will this be fixed so we can put this excellent product on servers with dynamic disks?

Thank you,

Kelly Wilke

Do you have a Corporate License for the product? Please send me a Private Message with your Cleverbridge reference number and contact information and I will assist you. Use of the product without a license is only allowed for home users, any other use requires a license.

Thank you.

Hello,

Thank you for the warning. Though I am not a novice at this stuff (been in networking for 24 years) it is nice to see warnings.

The security of the computer being too high is a non issue, if you are talking about IE. Remember I said that this is happening on a Window 2003 R2 server? The security is set high and takes an act of Congress (though I would not let them near any of my servers) to bring down the security.

Thanks,

Kelly Wilke

Do you have a Corporate License for the product? Please send me a Private Message with your Cleverbridge reference number and contact information and I will assist you. Use of the product without a license is only allowed for home users, any other use requires a license.

Thank you.

Hello,

I sent you a message with this information. I tried to click on private but it would not let me do that.

Thanks,

Kelly Wilke

The security of the computer being too high is a non issue, if you are talking about IE.

No. I was talking about the System itself. From time to time, if you remove a security program, the security settings on the system may stay intact, which may limit applications from performing well, to causing installer issues, etc. Right here is an overview: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd162275.aspx

=====

Nonetheless, allow AdvancedSetup take it from here.

Happy Safe Surfing!