malwarebytes stops working and program closes

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, go ahead and put the file back into place.

Then do the following:

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

After that, do the following please:

Uninstall Programs:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall the following if found by right clicking each entry and selecting Remove (if available as an option, otherwise click Change) and follow the instructions to completely remove the software:

• EPSON Print CD
    • EPSON Printer Software
    • EPSON Scan
    • EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Scanner Driver Update

Restart your computer Very Important

Then download and install the latest drivers for your printer from here and restart your computer. Then try running another scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to see if it still crashes.

If it is still freezing then do the following:

Create another Autoruns log:

Delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

• Double click Autoruns.exe
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Hello again :)

Please do the following:

Delete Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Logon tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
    • EPSONSty.2

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

• Please download MicrosoftFixit50126 from here and save it to your desktop but do not run it yet
  • Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall your EPSON Drivers along with any other installed printer drivers
  • Restart your computer
  • Double-click on MicrosoftFixit50126.msi to run the tool
  • Check the box next to I Agree and click Next
  • Check the box next to Reset print spooler to defaults
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process and reboot if prompted to do so

Try scanning with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again and let me know if it works or not.

I don't see it in that log, however if you download a copy of the one you uploaded previously and extract it, then open Autoruns, press ESC to cancel scanning then click File>Open and browse to the extracted Autoruns.arn file you just downloaded, you'll see it there. It may have been removed by a previous step. That's no big deal, go ahead and proceed with the rest of the steps and if you wish, you may also delete the already disabled EPSONSty.2 entry.

I am sorry I have not had a lot of time to work on this. Am I undertanding that I uninstall the printer and run the fixit and try a scan and then I can reinstall the printer drivers after I see if it works and if it does, it should continue to work after reinstalling?

You can skip the part about Lexmark as there are no Lexmark drivers on your system, the primary thing is getting rid of the files in the 2 folders that it mentions. You can skip the registry portion for now as well. If it becomes necessary I'll write reg files myself that will reset the keys for you, but removing the driver files alone and restarting your PC will be enough to prevent them from loading.

The drivers are uninstalled and the computer was restarted a few times since then. Not sure what to do now. I deleted one file in the autoruns logons. Did not see two. I think I am getting lost

Now what do I do as I am about to give up?

I guess you are saying to do this

Now delete spool printer and driver files

In safe mode, delete the spool printer and driver files. To do this, start Microsoft Windows Explorer, and then delete all the files and the folders in the following two folders (where C: is the drive where you have Windows XP installed):

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers

C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Drivers\w32x86

But at the bottom of that page it says those instructions are for windows xp.

Does this have to be done in safe mode. The last time I tried putting my computer in safe mode, it would not go all the way in and I had to abort that

Yes, those are the instructions I was referring to. If you can't boot into Safe Mode then there could be other underlying issues with your system.

For the time being, please do the following:

• Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
  • Click on the Compatibility tab
  • Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
  • Click on Apply then click OK

Now do the following:

Create another Autoruns log:

Delete the attachment of the previous Autoruns.zip file you uploaded by clicking My Controls at the top of the forum page and then clicking Manage Your Attachments on the left.

Then delete the Autoruns.arn and Autoruns.zip files from your desktop and run Autoruns again:

• Double click Autoruns.exe
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Hello again Birdie :lol:

Please do the following:

Delete Autostart Entries Using Autoruns:

Please open Autoruns.exe again and allow it to perform its scan. Once it finishes please proceed with the following:

• Click on the Print Monitors tab and right click each of the following entries and select Delete:

• Epson Inbox Language Monitor
    • EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series 32MonitorBA

[*]Once that is complete, restart your computer.

Now try another Quick Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and let me know if it still freezes or crashes.

Ok did that and does not work.

I am going to have to give up on this and reinstall my printer drivers. I need it. I really do thank you all for all you have tried. Nothing is working so feel it is time to give up. Spending to much time on it.

Thanks a bunch

No problem, sorry we couldn't get it resolved :(. So far I've had at least 8 or 9 other users with this issue and every one of them had Epson printer drivers on their systems and in all the other cases removing the drivers and getting them reinstalled properly did the trick (Epson's intaller seems to have problems with how it creates startup entries). There's something else going on in your case and I just can't figure out what it is.

Thanks for your patience. If you do wish to take this up again later just let us know.