malwarebytes stops working and program closes

I am running windows 7.

When running a full scan Malwarebytes runs a few minutes and then I get this error code. I have uninstalled with Revo uninstaller and reinstalled from a new download which did not help.

malerror.jpg

It stays on a few seconds and then the whole thing closes. You can see the file that it closes on in the screenshot. Can someone help please?

mal1.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Once you've done that please try a scan again to see if it now works properly.

Please let me know how it goes.

• Root Admin

No, I'm asking you to run a Disk Check to test hard drive structure. This is built-in to Windows for maintenance.

Close all programs and run the following.. It can take a while to run after it reboots.

Click on the Start button, then type in the search line CMD.EXE and it should show up on your Start Menu, then right click over it and select Run as administrator and select click OK to run it.

Then when the DOS console comes up type in this exactly and press the enter key.

CHKDSK C: /R

Then press the enter key and type Y for yes to run it on next reboot. Then restart your computer and when it restarts it should start checking your hard drive for any errors. Once that is done it will reboot again on it's own and come back up into Windows.

At that point try running another scan with MBAM.

Oh ok. I understand. Sure I know how to do that. Perhaps overnight I can do that.

I still kind of think it has something to do with my antivirus as when I first installed it a while back I ran a full scan and had AVAST and then removed it and put on MSE and this was the first time trying to do a full scan with it since then.

It always stops on that one file. Windows live installer

Hello Birdie :lol:

Please follow the instructions in this guide to exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's files from MSE and let me know if it corrects the issue or not.

Once that's done, if the issue still occurs please do the following:

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here.
  • Save Autoruns.exe to your desktop and double-click it to run it.
  • Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.
  • Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures
  • Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.
  • When it's finished, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.
  • Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder
  • Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

I couldn't find anything that seemed like it would interfere with MBAM in your Autoruns log. Please do the following to see if it fixes the issue or not:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Ok I did all that step by step and it stopped on the scan again. I guess I will give up and just use it for a quick scanner unlessyou have other options for me.

Would turning off windows firewall and my antivirus during a scan help?