One down, 2 to go!

Amethyst

Just hold off on the one, if you want. (its named in the article). You do NOT want to go unpatched. I haven't had trouble on my XP, though, and I haven't heard any complaints from anyone I know about it.

I did ask on the MS forum if they can narrow it down to that one update and if they'll let everyone know when they've fixed it.

Maybe I COULD try it on the desktop, since I have access to the recovery console there. Arrgh, now there would be a fun experience. Maybe I'll just let the MS folks answer my questions first. Or fix that update so it doesn't mess up anyone's systems, since it seems to cause serious problems for some people and not for others.

I just updated the laptop and left out KB977165 for now. I'll check back with MS and see if they mention a fix for that one. There were 11 other updates, and everything looks fine.

And no more playing with the computer for today! :blush:

I'm sure glad Firefox started that other thread, though, or I could have been thinking my update to SP3 caused something to happen.

Hmm. Keep us posted here on what you find out :blush:

I personally haven't had any issues on my XP and haven't heard anything from anyone that I know personally. It does seem to be affecting some and not others. Maybe they had another problem that interacted with that, for the people affected. I don't know though, maybe its totally random. It seems that if the problem affects you, it would have happened right away or very soon after the update.

I just applied the updates to the desktop, minus the bad one, and it's fine. I don't think it would hurt to leave this update out until MS has done some more looking into this.

Anyway, all of this aside, I sure am relieved to have the issue of {{{Service pack 3}}} over and done with. :blush:

Reformatting and reinstalling is easier than you think :). Just insert your Windows installation CD and follow the prompts.

@YoKenny1: Good point about full image backups, but the system doesn't run as fast as a clean, fresh install of Windows. It makes a computer run like brand new again :D.

It's a bit of a pain reinstalling all your purchased and free software again plus the pain of spending an inordinate amount of time customizing all sorts of thing afterwards if you're that sort of person (err... which I am, :blush:).

Before I make an image I normally empty all temp folders; delete my account index.dat folders (my temp internet, history and cookies folders) and thumbnail caches, defrag the system and then do an image when defragging's finished. It's not as "clean" as a reformat and reinstall I know but it's the next best thing to it.

Well-deserved I say, and one of the most helpful experts I've ever come across anywhere and that is no slight on all the members of all the groups in this company.

You make a strong addition and a knowledgeable resource to their team. They couldn't have a better man for the job ;).

• 2 weeks later...