Half computer/half virus question.

Kaizerwolf

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to this forum, and my reason is because I have a burning question. Just today, I was opening a Microsoft Office document (Word 2003 to be exact) and it gave me a Windows Genuine Advantage notice, saying that my copy of Office was not genuine. I told it to Remind Me Later. Now, I'm a very cautious computer user as I've run into many viruses in the past (And thank you Malware Bytes for getting me out of those virus issues! ;))

Anyway, can a virus fake a Windows Genuine Advantage notice? I mean, I've opened many other Office files that i've got, Powerpoints, Word documents, all of those, and I haven't gotten the notice again. I am scanning with Malwarebytes as I write this, and I'm going to run a Spybot scan as well after it.

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, i'm completely new to these forums so I don't really know where to go.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

-Kaizerwolf

Welcome Kaizerwolf -

An infection can arrive in any form, from genuine looking email to an image that looks like any Windows program - Chech this link to an infection that looks like a real Windows Icon http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=176921

The icon looks Windows and the Umberella looks like some Real A/V products - So will this http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=173771

EDIT _ -I needed to get the icons/links from another area -

Alright, thank you for your help. It is the first time that I've gotten one of those messages from Office, and it has not happened again. However, after a quick look through my Process list on the task manager to look for anything odd, I found "wmiadap.exe" running, and it is the first time I have seen it. Is this a questionable process?

Thanks for your help so far, as well as your patience; this is fairly new to me. ;)

Hi Again -

This is the quickest quote I can find on the net - Hope it helps -

Description : wmiadap.exe is a process which forms a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. The AutoDiscovery/AutoPurge ( ADAP) process transfers performance libraries to the WMI repository. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.\r

Regards - ;)

EDIT -

wmiadap.exe is a process which forms a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. The AutoDiscovery/AutoPurge ( ADAP) process transfers performance libraries to the WMI repository. The process wmiadap is not in any way a virus, a worm, a Trojan horse, spyware, or adware. The file that corresponds to this process is normally found in the directory "%SystemRoot%\System32\wbem\wmiadap.exe" (where %systemroot% is usually C:\WINDOWS.)

Second quote if you wanted -

I can show how to remove but it is better to keep it from what I see -

I was opening a Microsoft Office document (Word 2003 to be exact) and it gave me a Windows Genuine Advantage notice, saying that my copy of Office was not genuine. I told it to Remind Me Later. -Kaizerwolf

sounds to me that in your last Microsoft updates you installed the Office Genuine Advantage Tool. You can read about it HERE. It checks when you open any one of your office products to verify that you have a Genuine copy of office. If you copy of office is not genuine it will keep bugging you about it and it will eventually disable your Office applications. If you do have a valid copy of Office and know for a fact that your copy is legit, then contact Microsoft to get it sorted out. The office genuine tool as far as I know can not be un-installed.

according to your screenshot, that is not a virus or malware.

When you by Microsoft Office, you are allowed to use the product key on ONE computer only. As you have stated you have it installed on 2 desktops and two laptops. That's four copies, so therefore, Microsoft has tagged your product key as being used more than one time so it is no longer genuine as far as they are concerned. Eventually you will start getting that message on the other three computers. You will have to contact Microsoft to get it all sorted out. (or buy a new copy for that computer).

Now there are corporate keys (product keys) that allow you to install on multiple computers. If you have one of these type keys, then you should not have received this message either unless you key got blacklisted.

Anyhow to fix your office you will have to contact Microsoft tech support to sort it out.