System Configuration Utility

Hi All,

I'm in the final stages of eliminating the Antivirus 2010 spamware/extortion software from my laptop, thanks to all the help I've received from this and other tech forums.

The bulk of the problem was removed over two sweeps with Malwarebytes, although McAfee antivirus, spydoctor and ad aware also picked up small pieces of the problem.

Although the sweeps are now all coming back clean and there dont seem to be any issues, there is one final issue that I need help with.

When my computer starts up, the System Configuration Utility box pops up warning me that I've made changes to the way Windows starts up and I am currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode. It asks me to select normal startup to undo the changes ive made.

I havent made any changes to way the system startups, so its either the spamware that changed things or the programs that I used to eliminate the spamware.

Either way, my question is can I safely select the normal startup mode and undo the changes (what ever they are)? Im worried that by undoing changes some of the changes Ive worked so hard to eliminate.

Some forums suggest just ignoring the box every startup and just continue along as if nothing happened. I'm not satisfied that this is the best way forward, I'd be more comfortable having everything on my computer back to its pre-spamware state.

So whats your view? Select normal or leave it as is?

Hi haggis69 -

I think that unless one of the experts can show you how to remove that message then there may still be a minor part of the infection left -

If you continue the way the others have told you then you 'most likely' can, although the message has most likely been caused by the infection - It is very strong and can take experts to fully find any remaining bits - If you want it fully checked by one of our experts please read below -

Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post

Thank You - :)

EDIT - You can continue running Full Scans for a while to see if anything remains, but that is up to you - (Also try SUPERAntiSpyware Free)

Please note , Firefox may have a few ideas also in a min or 2 -

Hello haggis69, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

Well its a little hard to say without knowing exactly all you have done to that computer.

If you feel that you may not want to take that chance, and also see if you computer is fully clean, I would advice you to do the below instructions to be sure that you are clean and good to go, without having to take any chances.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org