Doesn't scan archives!!!

Hello lawpet and welcome to Malwarebytes,

I'm no expert by any means, but I think MBAM's detection mechanism depends largely on where the file (in your case, archive) is located on the hard drive... Where is it located? Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is by no means a replacement to your anti-virus program, it finds and removes things that are not found or are difficult to remove by the major anti-virus products out there.

Regards,

swagger

• Root Admin

No we do not scan within an archive. If the archive is known to be Malware then we'll detect it, but unless an archive is part of a package that helps to make the Malware operate or spread, then we don't target them. That is more the area for your Anti-Virus. Being in an archive is no threat to your system unless there is another running process that is using it on purpose for that method, in which case - again if we know or have seen it before then we will target it.

Thank you.

Oh I see now. Thanks guys.

It makes sense because the real-time protection may conflict with antivirus programs when both heuristics systems detects the virus.

But it'd be great if MBAM scans archives during a right-click on-demand scan so I don't have to extract all the files before performing a scan for suspicious files.

Have a nice day.