Anybody using HOST file 127.0.0.1 protection?

Hi!

I kno this is not directly related to MBAM, but I wanted to know if anyone else is using this for protection. The problem is, I find web browsing MUCH slower when I use it, which is apparently reasonable since the file is about 4 megs (!!) big. I have also disable the DNS client service as mentioned, but it 10 times slower with some websites then with the standard hosts file.

Anyone having any experience with this?

I use W7 x64, and for managing host files I use HostMan 3.2.71 Beta7 (http://www.abelhadigital.com/).

Greetings :)

For future reference you can post computer related questions not dealing with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware here. As for your question, I'm using HostsMan myself and haven't had any slow browsing issues, but I'm also using the HostsServer component, which speeds things up quite a bit. If you aren't using it then you should do so as this is precisely what it is there to correct (slow browsing issues with large HOSTS files). My own HOSTS file is almost 8Mb :) .

Greetings :P

For future reference you can post computer related questions not dealing with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware here. As for your question, I'm using HostsMan myself and haven't had any slow browsing issues, but I'm also using the HostsServer component, which speeds things up quite a bit. If you aren't using it then you should do so as this is precisely what it is there to correct (slow browsing issues with large HOSTS files). My own HOSTS file is almost 8Mb :) .

Sorry, haha, I though I missed the forum section. May the all powerful admins forgive me, and move it where it belongs to if they so wish :) kidding.

Anyways, ya, I have it turned on too.. Thats strange. Would you please try browsing a little, finding a website that you find loads kinda slowish, and try going to it with a standard hosts file? I really wonder is it just me here, or what.

It might as well be my antivirus or something else. Gonna have to experiment a little...

And gosh, how did you get it so big hahaha. What sources are you using, aside from the available 4 (1 doesnt work here)?

I browse all the time, and I've tested my speeds with and without the HOSTS file (via disabling it through HostsMan) and haven't noticed any real difference.

As for how it got so big, aside from all the defaults (all of which work for me by the way), I also use Mike's, Bluetack, MDL and Cameleon, all of which update very regularly. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function which adds more to it. Every once in a while I'll delete my HOSTS file and rebuild it so that any previously blocked pages that should no longer be blocked get removed, but I rarely do this. Usually I'll just unblock a site using # in HostsMan so that it no longer blocks the site in question (only after confirming the site is safe).

I browse all the time, and I've tested my speeds with and without the HOSTS file (via disabling it through HostsMan) and haven't noticed any real difference.

As for how it got so big, aside from all the defaults (all of which work for me by the way), I also use Mike's, Bluetack, MDL and Cameleon, all of which update very regularly. I also use Spybot Search & Destroy's Immunize function which adds more to it. Every once in a while I'll delete my HOSTS file and rebuild it so that any previously blocked pages that should no longer be blocked get removed, but I rarely do this. Usually I'll just unblock a site using # in HostsMan so that it no longer blocks the site in question (only after confirming the site is safe).

Thanks man!

Well, for some reason Mikes Ad blocking hosts doesnt work here... It says this is the link http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts but it doesnt really seem to be it. Is this the same address in your list?

You're very welcome :)

Ah, right you are, I guess they took it down. That website is generic now (meaning that domain name is up for grabs). I just checked and HostsMan reports it's not installed on my system either. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'll remove it from my list of update sources promptly :P .

Glad to be of at least some use here :-)

I have a few more questions tho... I'm not as experienced with this as you are.

1. I cant find MDL blacklist.. could you please post me a link here?

2. I also use PeerBlock along with HostsMan... Is this a good practice? Does it make sense to use them both?

3. Are you using 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0? Maybe this would answer why its faster on your pc... Which is better btw?

1. Here's MDL:
    http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt

2. I'm not familiar with PeerBlock, but I assume it's used for P2P programs to block some users. I can't say whether that would cause issues and conflicts or not.
  3. I use 127.0.0.1 but either one should be fine as long as they redirect to HostsServer.

PeerBlock is a PeerGuardian successor.. Works by adding ip ranges to the list, to allow or block them.

Thanks for all the help :P youve been a great help!

But are all your HOSTS entries pointing to 127.0.0.1? If they are, changing to 0.0.0.0 won't block any sites.

What do you mean? I dunno, but it is working... I tested it with hosts on and off. I can clearly see empty boxes on some websites where adds used to be, now with those firefox generic messages. Why do you think 0.0.0.0 wont block any sites?

I use a HOSTS file comprised of hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file managed by HostsMan and I use its browser speedup proxy HostsServer that shows the effectiveness of the HOSTS file if you enable its logging function and Log referrer. :)

What do you mean? I dunno, but it is working... I tested it with hosts on and off. I can clearly see empty boxes on some websites where adds used to be, now with those firefox generic messages. Why do you think 0.0.0.0 wont block any sites?

If you're using HostsServer to change from 0.0.0.0 you're fine, otherwise you'll have a HOSTS file full of 127.0.0.1 entries, not 0.0.0.0 entries. You can manually modify the HOSTS file to do this of course, by setting LOCALHOST to 0.0.0.0, but that would require editing each line to 0.0.0.0 www.badsite.com etc. HostsMan and HostsServer automates all of that for you though :P .