is this google chrome or is it a bad trojan?

I am about to have a breakdown and need someone to confirm this for me...My old computer died suddenly, I had the files put on a hard drive. I then bought a brand new sony computer. I put a couple of files on it from the hard drive. Then I did a malware bytes scan and it found 10 infected objects. I assumed it was the files from the external...however to make a long story short, my new sony turned out to have a windows issue (so rare) so I traded it in for a new sony last night.

I did all my windows updates, have kaspersky internet suite 2010 installed and of course downloaded malware bytes. I put nothing else on the computer. Did a scan and the same trojan shows up...so I go on google and some people say it is from google chrome and isn't a bad trojan, others disagree. Can someone please help me figure out if this is google chrome? I have searched the MB forums and come up with both sides...

The log from mbam came with the exact same thing on both computers:

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 7

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 1

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Registry Keys Infected:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{86676e13-d6d8-4652-9fcf-f2047f1fb000} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{83ff80f4-8c74-4b80-b5ba-c8ddd434e5c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{83ff80f4-8c74-4b80-b5ba-c8ddd434e5c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{83ff80f4-8c74-4b80-b5ba-c8ddd434e5c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{83ff80f4-8c74-4b80-b5ba-c8ddd434e5c4} (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\partner service (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\kt_bho.KettleBho (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

Registry Values Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> No action taken.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\ProgramData\Partner\partner.dll (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

C:\ProgramData\Partner\partner.exe (Trojan.BHO) -> No action taken.

I wasn't sure if this was the right forum, so if I goofed please accept my apologies.

Thanks for your help, I need to save my sanity here!

• Root Admin

This is not the full log. We need to see a developer log in order to determine if its a false positive or not.

Please click on START - RUN and type in MBAM /developer

Then check for UPDATES first and then run your normal Quick Scan and post back that complete full log and we'll review and let you know.

Thanks for letting me know that...I have vista, I tried to do the start, run but I couldn't find MBAM/developer. Does it go under something else?

This is not the full log. We need to see a developer log in order to determine if its a false positive or not.

Please click on START - RUN and type in MBAM /developer

Then check for UPDATES first and then run your normal Quick Scan and post back that complete full log and we'll review and let you know.

Hi snidely -

I hate to step in on AdvancedSetups' call but ensure you have done the following -

In the Run box you must leave a space between the MBAM(hit space bar)/developer -

I think if you got no result then you might not have left that one space -

That will then bring up the "normal" Malwarebytes scan box - You can then click on update first then run a quick scan -

I just tested it and found there must be a space between the last M and / (at least on my computer) -

He will correct me if this is wrong -

Thank you - :)

EDIT -

I only posted this as you replied that you typed MBAM/developer without the space -

Thank you - :)

P.S. Please hit the fast reply tab unless you are relating to a special posting -

That tip helped! I was able to find it that way :) Thanks everyone, you are all great.

The scan appears clean as you can see below, which is good (it was the developer one). I am still perplexed as to whether Trojan BHO (partner.exe) is a google chrome bit or a bad trojan...I can't use my computer fully until I can find that out as I have sensitive client info on it...Any ideas on how to find out? The google search gave me both answers :)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42

Database version: 3379

Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18865

12/16/2009 8:33:40 PM

mbam-log-2009-12-16 (20-33-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|)

Objects scanned: 220078

Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Didn't see the fast reply, will use that now :)

The scan appears clean as you can see below, which is good (it was the developer one). I am still perplexed as to whether Trojan BHO (partner.exe) is a google chrome bit or a bad trojan...I can't use my computer fully until I can find that out as I have sensitive client info on it...Any ideas on how to find out? The google search gave me both answers sad.gif

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.42

Database version: 3379

Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18865

12/16/2009 8:33:40 PM

mbam-log-2009-12-16 (20-33-40).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|)

Objects scanned: 220078

Time elapsed: 32 minute(s), 20 second(s)

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected: