Windows XP OS corruption after running Malware Bytes

Ok wondering if anyone has had this happen to them before.

I run windows XP and have had 2 virus infection over the past year.

In both cases I ran Malware Bytes.

The first instance was a real nasty one. I got a message prompt in my web browser telling me I was infected and I should download a bogus anti-virus program.

So I force quit Firefox, and instantly began running a full scan on Malware Bytes.

During the scan the virus started making shortcuts on my desktop, opening IE automatically to run bogus scans, etc.

Probably a Vundo variant. Malware finds 83 + infected files.

After running Malware bytes I was told to restart my computer to complete the removal process.

I restart.

During the restart, my computer screen gets all the way to the Windows logo, flashes a blue screen, and begins the restart process all over again. I try restarting in safe mode, reinstalling the Kernel, and repairing the master boot record. Nothing works. My OS is corrupted. I have to reformat.

Virus instance 2 is much less severe. I get a notice, this time yank my ethernet cord, and begin my Malware Bytes scan.

Only 2 infected files are found. Both are Trojan Droppers. From what I've found, all they do is download more trojans.

After running the scan and deleting both infected files, I am given the same message to restart. I do, and the same OS corruption occurs.

I can understand having it occur in the first instance as my computer was thoroughly infected with all manner of God-knows-what. But to have it happen with only 2 infected files makes me suspected the program itself.

I would just like to know if someone out there has had a similar experience, or can tell me what happened.

Hello Rynoth,

It is quite difficult if impossible to tell what infections the system had in the first case and now.

I suggest that you need guided help, if the system is infected now.

Take a look and do the steps and procedures outline in this sticky note http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9573

Skip over the MBAM steps (for the time being), but do the rest.

When done, create a New Topic in the Malware HJT sub-forum http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Post there the DDS log and the Gmer log for review and analysis.

Once posted, do NOT make another reply to that topic. Not until you get a reply from an authorized helper.

Good luck.

If one had to guess, the second series of infections were less severe only because you disconnected the internet connection.

Again, one cannot tell what the mix or nature of infections are or were without logs.

Other variables are whether system had a firewall on (for example) and other anti-malware apps, mainly antivirus.

No one application will catch malwares beforehand, including MBAM. And that is also not even addressing drive-by auto-downloads from malicious sites.

• Root Admin

Often what can happen is that most of the Malware is removed and then other programs like your AV or other Security Software start to run also but now don't have all the right information so they sometimes will remove a valid file that they should not have removed. Do you have the Windows install CD ?