Can Internet Explorer screw up AOL?

deebeee

I removed the latest version of Internet Explorer (which I HATE :) but I still can't go to my local supsermarket's site and pull up their pdf for their weekly flier. Got popup which asked if I wanted to save this pdf. Out of frustration, I did, but still can't access this stupid flier.

This has been a rough few weeks, had trouble with problems from fire walls installed as well.

Anyone know how to get back to my usual happy self using AOL and pulling up my supermarket flier?

Thanks

Hi deebee :)

Update/Install Adobe:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall any versions of Adobe Reader if found
  • Go here and click on AdbeRdr910_en_US.exe to download the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Save this file to your desktop and run it to install the latest version of Adobe Reader.
  • Now open Adobe Reader by clicking Start>All Programs>Adobe Reader 9
  • Read and accept the License Terms and when Adobe Reader loads click Help at the top and select Check for Updates...
  • Install any updates that it finds, allowing it to close Adobe Reader if it requests to do so
  • Delete the installation file as it is no longer needed.

Hi,

Thanks yet again for your help :) -- it occurred to me later that maybe the inability to get my supermarket's weekly pdf to open may have been a glitch on their part. Duh.

All done with installing Adobe Reader, updates, so I now have Adobe 9.2. I deleted what seemed to be (I hope) the installation file.

I installed Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX awhile ago. Is this OK to keep as is (?)

One final question (for today -- haha -- :) )

How can I make sure my DVD function is running? I was given a Wacom Bamboo tablet/pen and can't run their DVD with Corel Paint software. Wacom thought that maybe I need to reinstall the DVD driver after the restore (or something like that :)). When I go to "my computer," DVD/CD-RW Drive (E:) is there. Just don't know if it is running?? Could be their DVD is defective?

I feel like Al Pacino in GFIII -- just when I think I'm finished, "they drag me back in again." aaaargh.

Have a good weekend and once again, thank you sooooo much.

I installed Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX awhile ago. Is this OK to keep as is (?)
You can make sure your Flash Player version is up to date here. The latest is 10.0.32.18 so that's the one you should have :) .
Could be their DVD is defective?
A possibility. You can easily check your drive if you have any DVD movies. Just insert one and try to play it (it should pop up automatically). If it works, you know your drive is OK :) .
I feel like Al Pacino in GFIII -- just when I think I'm finished, "they drag me back in again." aaaargh.
No worries :) . Once you get out finally, you'll be that much wiser and more prepared for the future :) .
Have a good weekend and once again, thank you sooooo much.
You're welcome, and you too :) .

To add onto what Exile told you about Flash, if yours is not fully up to date, you will need to use the uninstaller for Flash here prior to updating Flash: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html and then re-install the newest version of flash :) (restart inbetewen!)

Thanks Exile :)

Interesting -- pullled up my supermarket's pdf and it opened up as usual, no glitches. Hooray! So for whatever reason this occurred, I'm glad. Thanks for link to install new Adobe Flash Player.

Re DVD drivers - :)I do not own a DVD.! I don't think my Dell came with one either. At some point I can probably borrow one from a friend (library too hard to get to). Guess that is only way to tell if it's their DVD or my problem. Rats. :)

And thanks mountaintree for the link to uninstall Adobe Flash Player. :)

You are quite welcome! :)

If you haven't already done this, I would uninstall the previous version first, reboot, run the uninstaller, reboot, then install the new version :) That's how I did it, anyway. The second reboot may not be necessary, but I did it just for good measure anyway :)

I'm not sure I get what you meant when you said to

Uninstall prior Adobe Flash Player,

Reboot

Use link to get Adobe Uninstaller, run

Reboot

Install

Reboot

I would think I would simply use the link you had to uninstall Adobe FP, reboot, install newest Adobe FP, reboot. :)

I have uninstalled the prior Adobe Flash Player -- I closed everything including AOL when I was running the uninstall and assume I do same when installing new Adobe FP.

Thanks

Weird, when I went to install the latest Adobe Flash Player, it said I HAVE the latest version 10,0,32,18 installed. I checked and 10 ActiveX was still there. So I guess the uninstaller did not work and I don't need to reinstall. Oh boy, a bit confusing, but guess it's all OK. :)

@ deebeee

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific, and I meant that you only do this if your version was out of date. Are you XP or Vista or Windows 7?

To uninstall it before using the uninstaller:

Control Panel > Add/Remove Software > remove Adobe Flash Player

Restart the computer

Run uninstaller

Restart the computer

Install new version.

You may want to follow these steps anyway even though its appearing to still be there - something might have gotten removed or something when you ran the uninstaller.

And yes, all browser windows should be closed prior to doing this :)

I'm in the process of defragmenting -- which is great (several weeks ago I couldn't do that as the chkdsk function would not work, etc., etc., ) -- thanks to Exile and AdvancedSetup and others I'm in a much better place.

Still slow tonite, but I'll do a bit more after defrag and see if that helps.

Have a good one. :)

@ Deebee

Ah, that's alright. We all get stumped sometimes :) If you do get stumped and have another question, someone will be able to assist you :)

Thank you! I'm trying! :) You have a great weekend too.