Android MB Update Questions

I just had a curious notification on my Android phone. When I first opened the notification, I (briefly) saw it was directing me to Google Play for a MB update.  I closed the notification and went directly into MB.

My Protection Score is !00%, RTP and Safe Browsing scanner are enabled. Database updates and Trusted Advisor recommendations are enabled.

In the time I've had MB on this phone, (2 years+) I've never seen this. Normal?

Thank you. 🌺

• 3 weeks later...

I gave it a go 4 times and could not get past the bot. 🙃 If I can't get past a bot, I usually give up and live with it. My efforts yielded a lot of help pages and nothing I saw is different from my settings.

i see double M icons all day, every day. I'm sure it is not scanning all that time. I've considered uninstalling and reinstalling MB, but not sure whether I'd have to just "uninstall" the app and leave that Premium "seat" alone.

This is where I figure answers will come from "On High."  😄 Or not.

• Administrators

@NewTricks, Hi there, this is Jason from Support. I oversee our support team and would like to know more about your issue with the bot. If you could send me a private message with your email, I can gather your feedback on the bot and assist you with understanding the notifications you received on your Android device.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you @jtodd234 and @AdvancedSetup for leading me to the promised land. I have successfully reached agents and created tickets.

I wanted to provide a long, detailed solution about process, but got cold feet.

After sleeping on it, here are two words of wisdom. "CUSTOMER SERVICE"

Please give the bot a chance to provide answers. If you have a sticky issue that falls outside the norm, use those words.

When typed, these words are answered with:

"I'm here to connect you to a support agent. What would you like to do?"

My answer: I'd like to chat with an agent.

Be prepared to enter a name and email address, separately.

You will then see a message that you are "in line, and how many ahead of you."

AgentStatus.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
clarity
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Small update. 

The two M icons near the time in the upper left corner of the Android phone is the result of having (Beta) Text Proection enabled. 

This Security feature is described as "Alerts on SMS phishing links." 

@David H. Lipman has patiently tutored me to recognize phishing/smishing so I feel confident I can do this without MB text protection. 

Since MB on the phone has traditionally had only 1 M showing, those double M's annoyed me. I turned it off. 

In other news, an update still requires the user to press an UPDATE NOW  button, versus automatically installing. I only find out when I randomly check the program and see my stellar score has fallen to 60 with 1 critical issue. 

So far, so good. I realize writing a program that will perform flawlessly on a variety of phones is impossible. Both MB and I have a good track record though. Nothing has ever impaired my phone. 

Screenshot_20240808-150612~2.png

Edited by NewTricks
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I just HATE to do this, but here goes. Stating the obvious, which sometimes takes a while to filter through the nooks and crannies of my brain.

When MB is scanning on a phone (Android) two stylized M icons appear.

When (Beta) Text Protection is toggled on, two stylized M icons appear.

In the months preceding this post, I saw the double icons, yet MB was not scanning. Blah, blah, blah.

Now that I've disabled the text protection, I'm happy. Yet.......this leads to a new question.

Text protection defaulted to ON, I did not turn it on. Occasionally, the program tweaks itself to turn things on or off without user input. However, I defer to my acceptance of reality as referenced my last paragraph above.

Thank you for everything. If you want to shut this down, I won't cry.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

More observations for MB on Android, in this case LG.

I've accepted the fact that MB is making changes. Other posts say Text protection is still BETA. OK. I've learned to live with it because if it is turned off, that triggers a system message, that you're not "fully protected." I submit to being fully protected. (thank you)

For the last couple of months a new thing has happened. Those same triple icons appear and MB is not scanning. When I open MB to see what's up, I see my score is down because one critical issue needs to be fixed. The SAFE BROWSING SCANNER has been turned off. This is not a result of user input, rather some random phone glitch. What-EVER.

To correct it, go to settings. You may see it is ALREADY ON. Don't worry, switch it off, then on again, and you'll be good to go.

Bottom line: Triple icons may or may not indicate scanning. Investigate after 10 minutes. Turn Safe Browsing back on if it shows that fault.