ISSUE & FEEDBACK - Can't Start Scan From Menubar + Greedy UI Design

Go to solution Solved by 1PW,

Hello.

The new Malwarebytes redesign is bad, as is almost always the case with UI redesigns these days across the board. It's clear it was designed for shareholders for maximum profit, as opposed to a better customer experience. Greedy!

1. I can't start a new scan from the menu bar any more. It's greyed out, along with the Settings option. (See screenshot)

2. Forcing VPN upsell for Premium customers is beyond greedy. Give us an option to hide this section. Also, when one clicks settings, one is automatically launched to VPN settings, instead of the settings of the product one is already paying for. This insidious UI design is called Dark Pattern. Stop with that! (See screenshots)

Please fix this.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.37.43.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.48.52.png

Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 10.37.16.png

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Hello @jee75 and :welcome::

Thank you for the additional information!

I am uncertain that even running that 2013 iMac14,2 with macOS Ventura v13.6.5 (22G621) via OpenCore Legacy Patcher will be totally compatible with Malwarebytes for Mac 5. I'm curious; would you need to build a new macOS installer to update to Ventura v13.6.6 (22G630)? Was that iMac14,2 able to previously run Malwarebytes for Mac 4?

Be that as it may, please try to uninstall/reinstall using the most recent Malwarebytes for Mac 5 (MB5) setup file.

1. Save work and close all other macOS user apps.
  2. Open the GUI for MB5 and pull-down the Help menu and choose Uninstall Malwarebytes.
  3. Download and install from the official Malwarebytes-Mac-5.1.3.1124.pkg file.
  4. If the MB5 install did not subsequently update its protection files, within a few minutes, please pull-down the MB5 menu bar icon and select “Update Protection” to get version 4.0.629 or later.

Please reply to this topic with the results of the reinstall.

Thank you.

Malwarebytes-Mac-5.1.3.1124.pkg Integrity Check:

SHA-256 Hash: 32eed5742ffd3c2f1b0f662494fb0d33dac995df489d3534a6255c2986b7e997

cc: @treed

Edited by 1PW
  • Like 1

Hello and thank you for providing the resolution to my issue. I followed the instructions and reinstalled Malwarebytes using the link for the installer. The menu bar right-click now works as expected. 

However there is no way for me to check if the protection files are up-to-date. All I can find is the version number of the app itself under Malwarebytes > About Malwarebytes.

Regarding OpenCore Legacy Patcher. I have no issues with any apps running on my system, and indeed, Malwarebytes is also functioning perfectly. OPLP is designed to work well and be compatible with all apps.

One more thing. This is important: Will there be any acknowledgement of my UI feedback? That issue still stands. An option for paying customers under the Premium plan to hide the VPN upsell would be very welcome, and would make the app feel less bloated. Please be careful in not turning this into Bloatwarebytes just because the shareholders want more cash in their pockets.

Who came up with the idea of having Settings launch directly into the VPN section that the Premium customer isn't even paying for? It's annoying.

I get it, Malwarebytes wants more cash, but this isn't the way to do it. Please carefully consider this feedback from myself and others here in this forum section and act upon it. Otherwise, what's the point of having a feedback section?

Regards, Jan Erik.

Hello @jee75:

The forum is happy to read that the uninstall/reinstall/update with the official MB5 .pkg file has resolved that iMac's menu bar issue.

However, there is no way for me to check if the protection files are up-to-date.

There is; from MB5's open GUI, select the Dashboard ⇾ Detection History ⇾ Activity log. You will likely notice that an Update to the Protection version 4.0.631 was pushed a few hours ago.

Will there be any acknowledgement of my UI feedback?

You may consider this reply as an acknowledgement as upper management will have read your topic. Other MB5 users, for other device types, have made similar remarks, and Malwarebytes management is well aware. Perhaps an agreeable change is forthcoming.

Please let the forum know if you require any additional product assistance.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Thank you for providing the steps to fixing my menubar issue, and thanks for appreciating all the UI feedback.

I'm glad upper management is aware of the complaints. I hope too that an agreeable change is imminent. Malwarebytes is a great product. That's why so many PC builders and Mac afficionados recommend it. So keeping Malwarebytes on the right track is crucial.

Also thanks for clarifying where to find the log for the protection database. It looks like it's up-to-date. (See screenshot)

Your help and support has been greatly appreciated @1PW.

Oh and I realise I didn't answer your specific questions about OpenCore Legacy Patcher.

My 2013 iMac was able to run Malwarebytes 4 flawlessly on both Monterey and Ventura via OCLP. The same applies to MB5 now.

OCLP builds a custom installer for each outdated hardware combination, including reinstating deprecated system files etc, so that video drivers, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, current Safari versions work on older hardware. It does this by partly disabling SIP, as there is no other way around it for a custom install to work. The installs and the OCLP app can be found on GitHub and they are vetted and even have checksum hashes for verification.

The SIP bit is why it's so important to have apps such as Malwarebytes on the system. One could argue that having a partly disabled SIP is the price to pay, in order to stay current with macOS security patches again on older hardware. The alternative would be to stay on macOS Catalina, an OS which hasn't received any security updates for many years now.

Plus it's nice to be able to enjoy all the eye candy on the newer macOS.

Again, thank you kindly and have a nice day.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 11.58.43.png