How do I remove a virus when the anti virus software won't run?

PooJam

I have tried several different anti-virus applications

Malwarebytes - won't run

Renamed executable - still won't run

(it has run in the past)

AVG - won't run

Norton 2009 - ran in safe mode didn't find anything

updated to Norton 2010 - won't run

Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool - started to run then disappeared - now won't run

ran Dr. Web Live CD - didn't find anything

ran Avira AntiVir Live CD - didn't find anything

Please help! Thank you.

Malwarebytes - won't run

(it has run in the past)

AVG - won't run

Microsoft Malicious Software removal tool - started to run then disappeared - now won't run

Please help! Thank you.

I tried RootRepeal and it will run for only about 1/2 a second before it disappears.

HijackThis ran for a second before it shut down and now will not run.

Glary Utilities ran for about a second before it too was shut down and now will not run.

RootRepeal ran for about a second before it was also shut down and now will not run.

They all say that the path or root is invalid.

I don't know what virus I have and I don't know how to find out.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to at least find out what virus I have.

Thank you.

Malwarebytes - won't run

(it has run in the past)

AVG - won't run

Please help! Thank you.

I was able to run the renamed file and update it, however when I tried to perform the quick scan it disappeared after only a second and now it will not run. It says that Windows cannot access the specified path or file. I tried renaming it to explorer.exe however it said that I didn't have permission to rename the file and that I would need to be the Administrator however I am the Administrator so I downloaded it again and renamed during the download. It did the same thing ran, updated, scanned for 1 second then disappeared and then won't run again.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I apologize that I didn't get back to you sooner.

PooJam

• Root Admin

Please try the following.. If you have to try running it in Safe Mode.

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved and renamed following this process directly to your desktop**

1. If you are using Firefox, make sure that your download settings are as follows:
    • Tools->Options->Main tab
    • Set to "Always ask me where to Save the files".

[*]During the download, rename Combofix to Combo-Fix as follows:

CF_download_FF.gif

CF_download_rename.gif

[*]It is important you rename Combofix during the download, but not after.

[*]Please do not rename Combofix to other names, but only to the one indicated.

[*]Close any open browsers.

[*]Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
  • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.

• Close any open browsers.
  • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
  • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
  • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.

[*]Double click on combo-Fix.exe & follow the prompts.

[*]When finished, it will produce a report for you.

[*]Please post the "C:\Combo-Fix.txt" along with a new HijackThis log for further review.

**Note: Do not mouseclick combo-fix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

If you still cannot get this to run, try booting into Safe Mode, and run it there.

To boot into Safe Mode, tap F8 after BIOS, and just before the Windows logo appears. A list of options will appear, select "Safe Mode."

If this doesn't work either, try the same method (above method), but name Combofix.exe to iexplore.exe instead, or winlogon.exe..

This because It also happens in some cases that malware blocks EVERY process except for what is in its own whitelist, so this whitelist also includes system important processes such as iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe...

I downloaded Combo-Fix to the desktop however when I went to run it it said the Norton Antivirus was running and to shut it down first, I can't get norton to run so I didn't realize that it was running - I did look in the processes for something to do with Norton but I didn't see any. I uninstalled Norton and restarted in safe mode when I tried to run Combo-Fix it again said that norton was running. So I didn't dare run it until I wrote to you.

Thank you,

PooJam

I was able to run Combo-Fix and the log is attached however it needed to download Microsoft recovery tool? however I could not connect to the internet while it was running so that part didn't run.

Should I try to run HijackThis? I tried it before and it ran for a second then disappeared then would not open. If I reinstall it I can try to run it again.

Thank you,

PooJam

ComboFix.txt

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

The fixes and advice in this thread are for this machine only. Do not apply the instructions from this thread to your own machine. Please start a new thread describing your issue and someone will be along to assist you.