Another virtool:win32/defendertamperingrestore threat in MS defender issue

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hello,

I have been reading online about this virtool:win32/defendertamperingrestore "issue" since I noticed my Windows Defender flagged it. I use Malwarebytes as my primary security tool. I see there is another nearly identical post from earlier today and have read through that topic. I'm not sure if this detection from windows defender is something I need to be legitimately concerned of or it is simply a false alarm due to some kind of conflict between Malwarebytes and Windows Defender. I made changes to Malwarebytes so it does not register in the Windows Security Center.

So, originally Windows defender apparently had 5 "threats" detected, all saying the same thing: "VirTool:Win32/DefenderTamperingRestore". I had them "quarantine" these threats initially, but it seems to keep popping up as "detected threats" from the same previous dates (12/30/23 and 01/02/24). The scans from Malwarebytes and Defender come back with no detections though.

I hope I'm not wasting your time, but just having the detection makes me paranoid, so I want to make sure there are no insidious underlying problems that I am missing.

My MBST scan is attached. Hidden files/folders and extensions have been made visible. Fast startup has been disabled.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I may be jumping the gun on some of these steps, but I went ahead and downloaded and ran the AdwCleaner. No detections. Says "You may optionally want to run a Basic Repair which will reset Winsock and other settings to their default values." No idea what that means, but here is the log file from the scan.

Let me know if I should "Run Basic Repair" or Skip Basic Repair" from your experience.

Thanks again.

AdwCleaner[S00].txt

Hello. :welcome: My name is Maurice. I will guide you.

• Please do NOT be "any sort of paranoia" type.  The thing is only about a setting for "antispyware" on MS Defender.  Not a real big thing.
  • Removing pesky malware can be an involved set of tasks over separate runs. Have much patience. Follow my directions. 
  • Please don't run any other scans, download, install or uninstall any programs while I'm working with you.
  • Only run the tools I guide you to.
  • Do not run online games while case is on-going. Do not do any free-wheeling web-surfing.
  • The removal of malware isn't instantaneous, please be patient.
  • Cracked or or hacked or pirated programs are not only illegal, but also will make a computer a malware victim. Having such programs installed, is the easiest way to get infected. It is the leading cause of ransomware encryptions. It is at times also big source of current trojan infections. Please uninstall them now, if any are here, before we start the cleaning procedure.
  • Please stick with me until I give you the "all clear".
  • If your system is running Discord, please be sure to Exit out of it while this case is on-going.

Do these 2 steps so that ALL folders & Files are set to SHOW, plus also, Turn OFF Windows Fast start.
    1. Show-Hidden-Folders-Files-Extensions
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299345-show-hidden-folders-files-extensions/

2. Disable-Fast-Startup
    https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/299350-disable-fast-startup/

• Thanks 1

Not seeing indicators of malicious malware here. The repeat alerts about "antispyware" should be considered a one off. And it has no relation to Malwarebytes, either.

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. The meaning of the "Fix button" operation here is just to run a custom script just for this particular machine.

NOTE-1:  This custom fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.  It will attempt to run one Quick scan with Microsoft Defender antivirus. It will attempt to clear Cache files of web browsers.  It will attempt to clear temporary file areas. It rebuilds the Winsock. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 50-55 minutes or more.

Please Close all open work before you actually do begin this run.

FRSTENGLISH program location:   Downloads folder. The tool is already on system. That is what we will use.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to Downloads

Fixlist.txt<- < - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Right-click with your mouse on  FRSTENGLISH and select "Run as Administrator" and reply Yes and allow it to proceed when prompted. That is important.

next, press the Fix button just once and wait.

You will see a green-color scroll display while FRST is running.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

NOTICE: For potential outside readers,  This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause harm.

The custom run result is good. This Windows' Microsoft Defender antivirus protections are all ON, and beyond that, are up-to-date as far as definitions from Microsoft. This is a techno-geeky readout

AntiMalware

AMEngineVersion                  : 1.1.23110.2
AMProductVersion                 : 4.18.23110.3
AMRunningMode                    : Normal
AMServiceEnabled                 : True
AMServiceVersion                 : 4.18.23110.3

AntiSPYWARE

AntispywareEnabled               : True
AntispywareSignatureAge          : 0
AntispywareSignatureLastUpdated  : 1/2/2024 8:38:18 AM
AntispywareSignatureVersion      : 1.403.1536.0

AntiVIRUS

AntivirusEnabled                 : True
AntivirusSignatureAge            : 0
AntivirusSignatureLastUpdated    : 1/2/2024 8:38:17 AM
AntivirusSignatureVersion        : 1.403.1536.0

Further, there were NO rogue exclusuions found on the settings of Microsoft Defender. That indicates there was not a compound compromise. 
The anti-spyware being off here is likely just a one time type event. In more compound or complex cases, we see this when people go for unverified apps or add-ons that they found irresistible or in worse cases, hacked or cracked programs, or tweakers, or some "enhancement" like to a game.

[ Do a custom scan with Microsoft Defender Antivirus ]

Just want to do a visual check in Windows Security to see (visually) that Microsoft Defender is on , and to do a Custom scan.

From the Windows Start menu, select Settings, then select Update and Security.

Next, look at the left-side menu & select Windows Security

Next, In Windows Security section: Click on the grey button Open Windows Security

Now, click on the shield Virus and threat protection

Look to see that Microsoft Defender is shown & available for use.

On the next display, look at all the options.  Look down the list and see "Check for Updates" .

You should click on that to have the system check for updates for Windows Defender.  Watch & wait for that to complete.

Please also note that the Scan options (all) can be displayed by clicking on Scan options.   Click that & select CUSTOM scan & then pick the C drive  & have it go forward.

Once it has started the scan phase, you can go take a long break.   Let me know the results.

I don't see it showing that Microsoft Defender is available for use outright, but I can run scans, etc. using Defender, so I'm guessing that answers your question. I attached an image showing my view when I select "Virus and threat protection".

I am re-running the custom scan. I did this yesterday prior to the post but I'll run it again. I'll let you know the results shortly.

WS1.png

One thing / issue at a time please. I want to be real sure that you did the MS Defender custom scan on drive C.

Anything other than that, we can cover Later. It also looks like, to me, some protection history is not being cleared out.

CLICK on the SCAN Options in blue to drill down to be able to do a C drive scan.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• Solution

The Three lines about "anti-spyware" were all dated the Thirtieth of December at the same time. This "protection history" is not being cleared in a proper manner. There is NO current undealt-with item. We will run this next run to do a cleanup.

Please run the following custom script. Read all of this before you start. The meaning of the "Fix button" operation here is just to run a custom script just for this particular machine.

Please Close all open work before you actually do begin this run. This run should be fairly quick.

FRSTENGLISH program location:   Downloads folder. The tool is already on system. That is what we will use.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to Downloads

Fixlist.txt- < - - - -

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRSTENGLISH, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Right-click with your mouse on  FRSTENGLISH and select "Run as Administrator" and reply Yes and allow it to proceed when prompted. That is important.

next, press the Fix button just once and wait.

You will see a green-color scroll display while FRST is running.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Downloads folder (Fixlog.txt) . Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run. Attach FIXLOG.txt with next reply.

NOTICE: For potential outside readers,  This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause harm.

Hello. The Microsoft Defender is in good state. You ought to no longer see any of the December thirtieth tagged events in the history.

Please go to Windows Settings. Then to Virus and Threat Protection. Can you grab a fresh image capture of that GUI screen. Thanks.

At long last. That cleanup of Defender protection history was very demanding. Glad it is resolved.

We can proceed with cleanup of tools we used.

To remove the FRSTENGLISH tool & its work files, do this. Go to your Downloads folder. Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select

RENAME

& then change it to

UNINSTALL.exe

Then run that ( double click on it) to begin the cleanup process.

Delete mb-support-1.9.7.1002.exe
Delete mbst-grab-results.zip on the Desktop.

Adwcleaner you may keep and use as needed.
Any other download file I had you download, you may delete.
Consider using PatchMyPC, keep all your software up-to-date - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware.

I am marking this case for closure.
I wish you all the best. Stay safe.
Sincerely.

Maurice

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you