Getting some seemingly false positives with Steam games.

TheodoreM

Had problems with 3 games in the last few days, as an offline scan claims an AI virus of some kind. I forget the number attached to it but it should be in scan history if that info is helpful, let me know.

I have added them to exclusions for now by unchecking them in results and choosing exclude after pressing next. Virustotal.com uploads of the apparently affected exe files showed no issues, even with MWB!

Norton power erase offline scan of the game install drive, Kaspersky offline scanner of same drive, Emsisoft emergency kit scan of same drive and windows defender scan of same drive (note, these tools are all in offline mode and with the first 3 they are exclusively free offline only scan tools) show zero issues. Not one of them corroborates the MWB results. It has to therefore be a false positive, or otherwise every other virus detection engine is broken which I find hard to believe. I spent HOURS using all these tools to do all these scans to be really confident, as the malwarebytes results scared me.

The thing is, a while back I was having issues with some games giving me 5 or 10 FPS, and adding their install folder to the MWB exclusions solved that issue instantly. I have another topic about it  in the forum somewhere. So I am guessing this is a continuation of the same issue, however this time I noticed it in the scan results first.

Do you think it's safe to just add my steam game folder to exclusions? I can still do offline scans using the other tools every so often. 

I think things like this need to be attended to, as I presume around 50% of your customers would be gamers (guessing). I have expert algorithms in malwarebytes options disabled. it is a completely stock install actually. It was updated to latest app version a few hours back and definitions before the scan.

Any ideas?

In this case the affected games are

Swords and Bones

Tanuki Justice (sick retro platformer, buy it trust me)!

B.A.D Bad Battle Armor Division

13 minutes ago, TheodoreM said:

I forget the number attached to it but it should be in scan history if that info is helpful, let me know.

Please provide all of the logs.

You can find Scan and Protection logs within the Malwarebytes 4 program in the following location

image.png

RTP stands for Real-Time Protection and is where automatic protection operations would normally be logged

image.png

If you click on the View option you should get something similar to the following with other options available.

image.png

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...