Dissectology

NewTricks

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, NewTricks said:

I think I just landed in a parallel universe. Wasn't  Yellowstone park last summer or fall?

2023-09-07

Time goes by so quickly. Almost a year and seems like just a few months ago

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information
  • Like 1

I took my newfound confidence and sorted the bejeezus out of my pieces by shapes AND made serious progress. I have to be careful to always respect my cardboard master, lest I fall into despair. This one ALWAYS has the upper hand.

Tuesday1.jpg

Tuesday2.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. Changing my methods, trying new things. 

Rearranged yet again. This is getting more difficult. I'm already planning how to mount it on foamcore & hang it at home. 

Going to be a school girl again Sept 3. Twice a week for 3 hours total. 

Thursday.jpg

• Like 1

I've been known to take the word "dedication" and move it to the fringes of "obsession."

I found a clearance sheet of foam core, 40" by 34" will cut it in half and create a perfect "carry case" to transport the 3 miles from school to home.

My handheld packing wrap will hold it all together until gluing.

0827240722~2.jpg

• Like 1

It is a plastic handle (cheap, cheap, cheap) that accepts a roll of  4 inch "cling wrap" type packaging film. Longer rolls are used for securing manufacturing products on pallets in transit.

I have a longer handle which rotates, and it MUCH better but requires some finesse.

Nomadic people acquire dedicated accessories so each move is better than the last. My best investment of all time is a professional handheld tape dispenser for 2 inch Scotch tape.

I could now tell you all the nuances of packaging tape, but your eyes may be getting heavy....... and now you're snoring.

Foam Board Puzzle Sandwich.jpg

• Like 1

So, I have been working on a community puzzle in the lobby of a medical office. The sign on the door says "Patients and Staff only." I'm legit, no one has thrown me out. This may be the 6th puzzle since January. Some entertainment, some aggravation and some too simple to touch.

The drawback with this venue is high, high ceilings, in an area with wall to wall windows. Glare and diffuse light are challenges.

I stop in occasionally; assemble the perimeter, separate by color to find a missing piece (still missing) and work on obvious isolated areas like the plant and the basket of fabric. The thrill of matching is much more intense since I can hardly see what I'm doing.

GrandmasRocker1.jpg

RockerBasket.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

if you enjoy the company of those others

I do. Occasionally people come over and join me. I'm here early in the day, perhaps if I timed it later, I'd get more company. Someone else is working on it steadily too, but we've never crossed paths.

I'm now thinking of a small portable battery operated light because detailed dark pieces are very tough to see. There's no urgency, I'm happy with 45 minute chunks which yields bit of progress now and then.

SandsWednesday.jpg

• Like 1

Surprised myself. Worked in the afternoon, the light is better.

An old woman was very psyched about the puzzle, I invited her over but she said it was "too much for her." First interaction in months, which was nice.

Missing one edge piece, but I don't care! 

attic puzzle.jpg

• Like 1

I've discovered that this puzzle needs frequent perspective changes. Sitting, standing repeat, repeat. Naturally that's true of all puzzles, but this one in particular. I often take my puzzle lessons into other areas of life. Changing perspective helps not only see that missing piece, but most importantly, the BIG PICTURE.

My last employer used those very words to boot me out the door, "failed to see the BIG PICTURE." Enough time has elapsed so I can appreciate and accept it was valid. Since then, "workin' on it."

• Like 1