Dissectology

NewTricks

A little embellishment this morning.

When my daughter was young, I rescued a tortoiseshell kitten from the neighborhood, (Lulu) and later a black lab mix from a shelter. (Soapie). Their antics were the basis of a special language created between the two of us. The closest phenomenon is cryptophasia. Curiously, words, phrases and voice intonation have survived 35 years!

While this word was combined with a prefix, the root word and meaning remains the same.

Booskie

• Like 1

There's a puzzle pause for now, but I'll reveal my unpatented method of mounting on foam core meant to bypass sticky paper, puzzle glue and worst of all, taking it to Michael's for mounting. Save those $$$ This was for a puzzle measuring 27 inches long and 20 inches wide.

Materials Needed:

Measure the longest side, then divide roughly into segments measuring 5-6 inches each. Use pencil and ruler to mark the board.

Take a fresh blade and score the board along the lines, do not cut completely through, but as close to the Foamcore backing as you can.

Pick up the foam-core and bend it back and forth to separate the sides from each other. Repeat for each successive line. set aside.

Plug in the hot glue gun. (bigger is better, depending on your puzzle) Insert a glue stick and wait for the melting point. (about 3-5 minutes)

Place a cover over the work surface, place puzzle FACE Down on the work surface.

Apply hot glue to the first scored segment of the board, smear if you can with an implement. Take the board and place it glue side down onto the puzzle back.
Be sure to align as well as you can. Press firmly, or run your hands over the area to ensure a good seal. At this point, bend the remainder of the foam core back without tearing the backing, and apply glue to the next segment.

Press on the back of the puzzle, repeat as before. Soon, all your segments will be glued to the puzzle back. Insert additional sticks into the gun as needed. Having two people do this method is (I imagine) definitely easier hat doing it solo. If you're unsure of the process, do a smaller puzzle first.

For reassurance and no fail process, let the puzzle sit for 8 hours. This may not be totally necessary, but can't hurt. It might help everything become stable, depending on the humidity, and conditions in your space. After that, trim the Foamcore to the puzzle edges, taking care to protect the cutting surface from permanent damage.

Final Step: measure for hangers on the back of the foam core. I won't get into specifics here, as size of the puzzle, hanging preferences are individual for each person. I used a double hanger method, one on each side. In order to maximize surface area and stabilize the hangers, I've placed the clips adjacent to each other, so the weight of the puzzle is distributed evenly when it hangs.

(Proofed as well as I can, but one or two typos might have slipped by.)

0913231224b~2.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
removed attachment to save space

This topic is headed for convergence.  I might bounce between candy wrappers and words, who knows?

Dissectology refers to jigsaw puzzles, ArcGIS refers to a mapping program I'm learning. Sometimes words pop up in "puzzling contexts". This word falls within the mapping environment~proving to be quite the puzzle without physical pieces.

GRATICULE: (noun)  a grid of longitudinal lines and latitudinal lines on which maps are drawn.

P.S. I am now "up and running" with the newest mapping software  (2 days, 3 people and 4 hours but who's counting?) I successfully completed my first assignment, uploading it for grading. ☑️

Graticule.jpg

• Root Admin
On 9/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, NewTricks said:

I spoke too soon.

The pieces are quite large, and someone else already started it. I'm working on the perimeter, my own version of the "be all and end all."  Dimensions are 24" by 30".

0915231204~2.jpg

Sad to say but I recognize all but the Tween Meals, and Twin Caramallow and have had all of them at one time or another. Not good for one's weight or health 😅

At a new crossroads with the Candy Wrapper Puzzle. Just our short admissions of sugar in it's various forms was enough to get me thinking about the ways kids are programmed to crave it. And that lasts a lifetime. That led to some distance. It's not as appealing as it once was.

I went through the remaining pieces to construct an intact border. Found 3, but 3 are still missing. I looked 3 separate times! Nope. I met a firm boundary of "not worth it." Much like what happened with the Tile puzzle, but those feelings were a bit different. The outcome is the same. Au revoir. If we meet again, I'll walk on by.