Malwarebytes for IOS scanning and region differences

Hi,

I have two questions about the app for iOS.

I guess this would be an anti-virus question in general, but is there any particular reason as to why Apple doesn’t allow scans of the devices?

My other question is about if there are regional differences for the Malwarebytes app. Since I’m from the UK, I get full access to all the features like web protection and add blocking by just signing in with my account. Is there a reason it’s different for us over here compared to America?

Thank you.

Question 1: You would have to ask Apple for specifics, but basically it a developer rule as a security feature. It prevents malware from being installed on the device as well as preventing detection and removal.

Question 2: Yes, "Malwarebytes for iOS version 2.4 is available to download from the App Store for United Kingdom and Ireland users only. This version requires an active My Account profile to log into the Malwarebytes for iOS app. Once you have logged in, all features are available to you." The Malwarebytes staff will have to provide details, but I suspect it has something to do with regional laws.

Question 3: The US version is 1.8.3 as of 8 December, 2022.

• Like 1

I forgot that I wanted to ask this a while back too.

Is the web protection always active even if the app itself isn’t open if that makes sense. I enabled it in the safari extensions section too.

And how safe is IOS for iPhone, and iPad in general?

I’m not one who does a lot of browsing, or any in general for that matter, and I have no idea how to jailbreak a device nor do I ever intend to do that.

Edit: Forgot to include this.

Is there any reason why if an iPhone isn’t used for a certain amount of time, it asks for the the passcode in order to enable Face ID? Is this just a security feature.

Another minor thing is that whenever I open the settings on my iPhone it flashes white for a short moment as if it’s set to light mode. It’s a bit hard to explain.

Edited by Badran

• Staff
17 hours ago, Badran said:

Is the web protection always active even if the app itself isn’t open if that makes sense. I enabled it in the safari extensions section too.

Yes, it will still work even if the app is not open.

And how safe is IOS for iPhone, and iPad in general?

Extremely safe. Nothing can ever provide a guarantee against malware or hacking, but iOS is one of the safest systems out there, as long as you don't jailbreak it. You may need to take extra precautions, such as turning on Lockdown Mode, if you are someone that may be targeted by a hostile nation-state or other very large organization with tons of resources to spend on hacking your devices.

Is there any reason why if an iPhone isn’t used for a certain amount of time, it asks for the the passcode in order to enable Face ID? Is this just a security feature.

That is a normal security feature of iOS.

Another minor thing is that whenever I open the settings on my iPhone it flashes white for a short moment as if it’s set to light mode. It’s a bit hard to explain.

This isn't something that is an indicator of any kind of security issue. At worst, it's a minor user interface glitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badran said:

Can iOS devices tell if a wi-fi connection is disabled?

Yes, and a cell equipped iOS device will switch to using cellular for internet connectivity if settings allow.

1 hour ago, Badran said:

I remember seeing something about how you should have your Wi-Fi turned off if you leave your home for safety reasons but  I can’t remember why exactly.

I've never heard that, but suppose the thinking is that an outsider will have no chance of hacking into it. Seems to me there's little danger of that happening at all and no more than when you are home. In the context you are asking, it's likely your iOS device will be with you when you leave.

• Like 1

There is no firewall involved with an iOS Wi-Fi connection to an Access Point, so nothing to disable. Are you asking if an iOS device can tell if a Wi-Fi router firewall is disabled? If so, under what circumstance would you want to disable a router firewall and why would an iOS device need to know?

19 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

If so, under what circumstance would you want to disable a router firewall and why would an iOS device need to know?

I was just asking in case I was to connect my phone to an access point that’s not my own, and if that would pose a danger to my devices.

I’ve been avoiding leaving the wi-fi enabled while I’m out, or visiting other houses, so I’ve been using mobile data for everything.

I saw some glimpses from videos saying not to leave wi-fi on when going out so you don’t connect to public networks or networks with no security at all. I’ve just been paranoid about it.

Edited by Badran
Additional information

• Staff

Honestly, turning off your wifi when you're away from home is not necessary, and not even security professionals do that. I've left wifi turned on while attending the DEF CON hacking conference.

If you're really worried about joining a potentially insecure wifi network, the risk of doing so is very low, but you can also use a VPN on such networks to ensure that your connection is secure.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Badran said:

I was just asking in case I was to connect my phone to an access point that’s not my own, and if that would pose a danger to my devices.

So you were asking about turning off Wi-Fi on you iPhone, not your home network. Your reference to "firewall" was what threw me. Your real concern is about accidentally connecting to a malicious access point that could monitor your Wi-Fi activity. That has nothing to do with any firewall. Just make certain that in Settings->Wi-Fi->Ask to Join Networks is set to "Ask". And if you see any networks that you have previously connected to that look suspicious, click on the circled blue "I" on the right and click "Forget This Network".

Other than that, what @treed just told you is 100% correct.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, alvarnell said:

So you were asking about turning off Wi-Fi on you iPhone, not your home network. Your reference to "firewall" was what threw me. Your real concern is about accidentally connecting to a malicious access point that could monitor your Wi-Fi activity. That has nothing to do with any firewall. Just make certain that in Settings->Wi-Fi->Ask to Join Networks is set to "Ask". And if you see any networks that you have previously connected to that look suspicious, click on the circled blue "I" on the right and click "Forget This Network".

Other than that, what @treed just told you is 100% correct.

Apologies for wording it weirdly, though a lot of this stuff has made me overly paranoid about my home network. Though it should be completely fine since the firewall is active which I’ve checked multiple times.

in regards to the Face ID/Touch ID, it requiring a passcode me be linked to how many times you’ve had the Lock Screen active without unlocking the device or failed unlock attempts with those to ID unlocks?

im still not entirely sure.

Curious to know how you’d have malware on your phone.

Would it be a similar situation to computers where they could access browser files and browser information.

I guess if someone was in I would’ve lost access to emails I’m signed into as well.

it’s something I’ve never been sure about

4 hours ago, Badran said:

in regards to the Face ID/Touch ID, it requiring a passcode me be linked to how many times you’ve had the Lock Screen active without unlocking the device or failed unlock attempts with those to ID unlocks?

iPhone Passcode is Required to Enable Face ID

Is it normal to have certain Apple apps run in the background sometimes?

I checked my battery consumption today and it said the tips app had run in the background despite me not opening it at all during my session. Maybe it was a widget or something but I’m not sure and I ended up deleting the app.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Badran said:

Is it normal to have certain Apple apps run in the background sometimes?

I checked my battery consumption today and it said the tips app had run in the background despite me not opening it at all during my session. Maybe it was a widget or something but I’m not sure and I ended up deleting the app.

This is 100% normal

Malwarebytes company policy precludes any speculation in advance about when a new version will be released and any new features they are working on. 

No serious issues with 16.2 iOS/iPadOS worth discussing.