svchost.exe connections to malicious IPs, full scan returns nothing

I've generated a fresh mbst-grab-results.zip and attached it to this post.

The alert is not super common, and I don't always catch it before the notification goes away, but if you look in \MBAMService\LOGS\MBAMSERVICE.LOG.bk1 from this bundle, you will see the blocked requests from svchost.exe as recently as today at 15:41:57 PDT

07/13/22    " 15:41:57.935"    83808515    1008    1da8    INFO    MwacLib    MwacLibImpl::InvokeBlockCallback    "mwaclibimpl.cpp"    1348    "Connection blocked! ProcessId=4160 ProcessPath=C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe Domain= Address=120.226.28.57 Port=16102 Category=Compromised Direction=Outbound ReportOnly=0 ListName=ipBlockList"

As I said in my inital post, it's not super common, but it has been popping up a few times a day for the last week or so and it has me a bit concerned.

120.226.28.57 whois comes back as China Mobile, and I cannot think of any applications or services I'm using that would be communicating with that network.  There are other IPs in the logs from previous notifications as well.

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Root Admin

Let's try a couple of things.

First, let's do a CLEAN removal of Malwarebytes and then reinstall it. That will remove all old logs and settings, etc. and start again fresh.

Then, let's have you run a scan with Sophos antivirus and see if it finds anything. If not then we'll really need to probably setup auditing to try to track this down.

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall. The computer will restart to complete

After the restart please do the following

• Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Please send an email to Sophos to get the link to download the scanner.

Sophos Scan & Clean

Download Sophos Free Virus Removal Tool and save it to your desktop.

• If your security alerts to this scan either accept the alert or turn off your security to allow Sophos to run and complete.....
  • Please close all other open applications and Do Not use your PC whilst the scan is in progress... This scan is very thorough so it may take several hours to complete, please be patient...

mbst  

Double click the icon and select Run

Click Next

Select I accept the terms in this license agreement, then click Next twice

Click Install

Click Finish to launch the program

• Once the virus database has been updated click Start Scanning

If any threats are found click Details, then View log file... (bottom left hand corner)

Attach the results in your next reply

• Close the Notepad document, close the Threat Details screen, then click Start cleanup

Click Exit to close the program

If no threats were found please confirm that result...

• The Virus Removal Tool scans the following areas of your computer:
  • Memory, including system memory on 32-bit (x86) versions of Windows
  • The Windows registry
  • All local hard drives, fixed and removable
  • Mapped network drives are not scanned.

Note: If threats are found in the computer memory, the scan stops. This is because further scanning could enable the threat to spread. You will be asked to click Start Cleanup to remove the threats before continuing the scan.

Saved logs are found under this sub-folder: C:\ProgramData\Sophos\Sophos Virus Removal Tool\Logs 

Please attach that log on your next reply

Thank you

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Updated information

My apologies for the late reply, I've been tied up with life stuff.  So far I haven't noticed any alerts, however I haven't been in front of my machine a lot so I may have just not seen them.  I will try to remember to go through the logs tonight to see if there are any alerts I've missed.

• Root Admin

I'm reasonably sure the infection was removed.

Let's go ahead and do some clean-up work and remove the tools and logs we've run.

Please download KpRm by kernel-panik and save it to your desktop.

• right-click kprm_(version).exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Read and accept the disclaimer.
  • When the tool opens, ensure all boxes under Actions are checked.
  • Under Delete Quarantines select Delete Now, then click Run.
  • Once complete, click OK.
  • A log will open in Notepad titled kprm-(date).txt.
  • Please attach that file to your next reply. (not compulsory)

1. Recommend using a Password Manager for all websites, etc. that require a password. Never use the same password on more than one site.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/240255/password-managers-compared-lastpass-vs-keepass-vs-dashlane-vs-1password/
  2. Make sure you're backing up your files https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/
  3. Keep all software up to date - PatchMyPC - https://patchmypc.com/home-updater#download
  4. Keep your Operating System up to date and current at all times - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-faq-8a903416-6f45-0718-f5c7-375e92dddeb2
  5. Further tips to help protect your computer data and improve your privacy: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/258363-tips-to-help-protect-from-infection/ 
  6. Please consider installing the following Content Blockers for your Web browsers if you haven't done so already. This will help improve overall security

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

uBlock Origin

Further reading if you like to keep up on the malware threat scene: Malwarebytes Blog  https://blog.malwarebytes.com/

Hopefully, we've been able to assist you with correcting your system issues.

Thank you for using Malwarebytes

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Please review the following to help you better protect your computer and privacy Tips to help protect from infection

Thank you