• 3 weeks later...

This error pops up during a Time Machine backup with CPU usage set to "Low". It doesn't happen when it's set to "High". I haven't done enough testing with "Medium" to verify if the issues occurs with it. The aforementioned sluggish app launching issue was only experienced with CPU usage set to "High". This issue wasn't solved by a Malwarebytes reinstall and a MacOS reinstall.image.thumb.png.c66d70848fc27e53970d4f87f6501179.png

The latest 11.3 betas (and potentially final release) breaks a component in the MalwareBytes software on the M1 chips, so a reinstall is necessary upon each update.

I've reported the bug to Apple several times as it's affecting other Intel based products (Splashtop Streamer, and previously Backblaze - but no longer).

Hopefully a native version will resolve this quirk though, as I'm not sure what component is getting disabled/broken upon upgrade.

On 4/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, wizdomonwheels said:

The latest 11.3 betas (and potentially final release) breaks a component in the MalwareBytes software on the M1 chips, so a reinstall is necessary upon each update.

MacOS 11.3 installed now (final version released today)

Malwarebytes no longer functional. The following screen appeared (it had already happened a few times but it was enough to close and reopen the app) with a prohibition signal on the M of the menu bar

to fix it was necessary to reinstall the Malwarebytes app on itself.

1245745126_Schermata2021-04-26alle22_57_09.thumb.jpg.883f94d845089c3befaeb48ece63483e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Omoeba said:

The app launching issue persists with 4.9.6 beta and macOS 11.3.1.

Regarding the icons that dance for a long time at the launch of the applications try to read this discussion between me and @alvarnell because in his answers there could be an explanation (although still to be confirmed by @treed)

Edited by MAXBAR1
added link i had forgotten

• Staff
6 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

Regarding the icons that dance for a long time at the launch of the applications try to read this discussion between me and @alvarnell because in his answers there could be an explanation (although still to be confirmed by @treed)

I can't confirm, unfortunately, as we're not able to reproduce these issues. It's possible there may be some other third-party software issue, or perhaps a system issue, involved.

If you're able to reliably reproduce the issue with the app launching times, please try this:

1. Reboot in safe mode
  2. Reinstall Malwarebytes (needed to get it working in safe mode). No need to uninstall first.
  3. Test app launch times with Malwarebytes' real-time protection running and see if you can reproduce the same issue

12 hours ago, MAXBAR1 said:

I don't think that's the cause of the issue since I've observed the issue with every single third party app. I will check Activity Monitor the next time the issue occurs though. 

UPDATE ON MY PERSONAL SITUATION WITH MALWAREBYTES AND CPU  M1  (FOR @treed and all staff)

I have been keeping an eye on the situation since Friday, when the Universal beta was released.
It is not yet a very long time but I can say that it seems that the problem of apps bouncing on startup, which, at least for me, happened, even if not always, often enough, can almost certainly be defined as solved. I reserve the right to keep an eye on the situation for a little while longer.

There remains the problem of energy consumption (apart from the battery icon menu where @treed said, in a previous post, to be unreliable) where in Activity monitoring it gives me these values regarding the 12h power column

• Safari 14.08
  • Malwarebytes 4.98 protection (value tends to increase - as of writing this post it went up from 4.86 to 4.98)
  • Microsoft Word 1.46
  • and to follow all under the value 1

On the energy impact column, on the other hand, Malwarebytes has an almost zero impact

@treed I am now able to say, at least as far as I'm concerned, that the problem of the Apps, whose icon danced at startup for several seconds, has been solved with the latest version.
For several days it has not occurred anymore whereas before it happened very often (not all the times but almost)
No longer any app has given the problem, not even those of Office which are notoriously among the most complex, at least among those installed on my Mac.

Only the problem of energy consumption remains. I am sure that sooner or later you will be able to deal with it.

Thanks for everything

Have a nice weekend

Massimiliano