MB Beta 4.2.2.95 - CU 1.0.1091

throkr

Hi,

Installed on top of the previous version without any problem.

I noticed a new intermediary window (proposition to install MBG); to end the installation a reboot was required and after that I noticed that, this time, the program and the CU were updated at the same time. This wasn't the case with previous versions but I suppose that this will be now the new procedure (?) ... 

Just asking ... :)

- Win10 20H2 - Build 19042.572 -

Edited by throkr
typo

Please keep in mind that if fast startup is enabled, it may cause problems with Malwarebytes resulting in the program failing to run on system start.  This is due to the way some processes are kept in memory while others are terminated, often resulting in Malwarebytes and other third party applications failing to start properly.

31 minutes ago, boombastik said:

Can you enable it , restart and then shutdown?

After you start your machine run in admin powershel this command:

Get-WinEvent -ProviderName Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-boot -MaxEvents 10 | Where-Object {$_.id -like "27"}

If the answer is 0x0 the hybrid shutdown dont work.

I tested it and no problem here (result is 0x1) as you can see from the screenshot.

Test.jpg.63779b683a56ec4123e7daa96bf9f915.jpg

10 hours ago, exile360 said:

I can only guess that they updated the main program as well as the modular components in this version and that's the reason for the new version numbers for both values, however that is just speculation.

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first post; here more explanations ...

In previous versions, the updates happened in 2 steps as described in this topic: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/260121-update-to-version-41171-cu-10927/?tab=comments#comment-1386375

This time it all happened in one step through a required reboot.

So my question is: will this be the standard procedure from now on ? Thank you. :)

Edited by throkr
typo

I don't think they pushed out a separate CU and program version and I think the scenario you encountered in the previous thread was due to the fact that both were available at the same time and you got the CU before you got the new program version; again, that's just speculation though, however I believe one of the major differences between a component update and a new program version is that the CUs are typically able to install without requiring a reboot while new program versions might require one, depending on which files need to be replaced.  Normally an upgrade to a new version will not be a 2-step process like you encountered in the other thread where you had to check for updates twice, first for the CU and second for the new program version (unless the CU is released after the new program version and hasn't been integrated into the latest installer, though that's not likely to happen often if at all).

I suspect that the behavior you experienced in the other thread was a fluke due to a CU and major program version being released close to the same time, because normally it would all be bundled into a single installer for the new program version which would also include the latest CU as a part of it.  When a CU is upgraded alone, it's because there is no new major program version and the modular components that can be updated by a component update can be patched in-place, usually without requiring a reboot and of course also providing a savings on bandwidth since downloading just the components that need to be patched is a lot smaller than downloading an entire Malwarebytes installer for a full program version update/upgrade.

Hi @exile360,

Thanks a lot for this detailed and useful explanation.

Just for info, I made the following test: uninstalled MB with the Support Tool (without new installation after the reboot), installed the latest stable version with the online installer, updated to the latest beta version.

This time program and CU were updated at the same time (meaning: in one step), no reboot required.

Again, thanks for your time ... :)