How to keep your computer safe on a wireless network

cookiecat

Hello! I have been using Malwarebytes for some time with excellent results, but only recently found this forum, which I have found extremely helpful. I was wondering if someone could help me or point me in the direction of a good tutorial for keeping your computer and home wireless network safe.

I have a friend, who is staying with me, who would like to use my wireless connection, but he doesn't care so much about keeping his computer safe from malware and actually had to reload his OS last week, due to some type of virus. Anyway, I guess I am concerned about whether or not my computer can "catch" something from his while sharing my wireless network and are there any specific settings or things I should do to keep myself safe. Thank you!

P.S. I use McAfee (free from ISP), Malwarebytes, and Spybot. I also have WPA2 with encryption key and use MAC address id and SSID broadcast disabled. I feel confident that my wireless network is safe from outside users, just not someone that I allow to use the network. Thanks again!

• Root Admin

Yes it's possible but typically from a Worm, not from most normal Malware.

In general just make sure you're own Anti-Virus is up to date, disable file sharing on your system, and make sure your Windows Critical Updates are all up to date and for the most part you should be okay.

A couple of other things. Make sure whatever software firewall you are using on your computer is on. Also, if you are using one of the IE's as your browser, set your lan security (within IE) to one of the high settings (I don't know if this one really helps or not).

It's up to you, but I don't think it's unreasonable to insist that anyone that you let use your network meet your security requirements.