uninstalling comodo internet security

mountaintree16

I am trying to uninstall comodo internet security with no luck on a Vista Home Basic and I don't see anything comodo related in the programs in the control panel except comodo safe surf. I need to remove comodo internet security so I can run the AVPTool from Kaspersky and so I can install Avira.

I tried searching their forums but it is of no help that I can see. and the help feature in the user interface is useless... it won't search after I type the keyword. There is also nothing in all programs and all I have is the icon to launch the program... but nothing to uninstall it with! :) I tried searching for it via the search feature in the computer, but nothing was found.

any ideas? I have to get this done today... :/

thanks noknojon :)

I can't figure out where "run" is on Vista though :)

If I can't figure this out then I won't be able to do this again for two weeks I think.

Thanks for that though, I am looking at it right now :)

Update:

Note

If the program that you want to uninstall is not listed, it might not have been written for this version of Windows. To uninstall the program, check the information that came with the program.

But the help in the program is completely useless... it will NOT search for some reason... argh.

Thank you Steven!!

I was just was getting so frustrated, and I was unable to do this two weeks ago too...

Are those files large though? I'm on dial up here :/

Only programs that were written for Windows will appear in Programs and Features. If you don't see the program listed and you want to uninstall the program, check the information that came with your program.

Note

If the program that you want to uninstall is not listed, it might not have been written for this version of Windows. To uninstall the program, check the information that came with the program.

I do love this, hehe. What it should have said is;

Only programs that;

1. Were written for Windows (err, this is Windows so ignore me)

2. Come with an uninstaller

3. Have not chosen to hide themselves from my uninstaller

... etc

Thank you Steven!!

I was seriously about to cry. Just was getting so frustrated, and I was unable to do this two weeks ago too... well and that I ran out of time :)

Are those files large though? I'm on dial up here :/

giving them a try... :)

Not sure about Revo, but PUI is small enough for Dialup :)

@ Steven

thank you thank you THANK YOU!!

:) :) :)

You are a lifesaver!!

I hope I can get everything done, thanks to this program not showing itself to be uninstalled I wasted quite a bit of time trying to figure it out prior to posting here.

Hi Mountaintree16,

As far as the run thing goes. Right click on the start orb and select properties.

Then the start menu tab

Then Customize

Then scroll down and you should see an option to display run

I've never used PUI so not sure what to say except that if you look at the faq, if I understood it correctly (and I was skimiming to minimize time,) the main difference is whether you need the visual basic run time files. The full install includes that. As far as #1, #2,#3 go each is just a mirror site for each of the versions in case one of the other sites is unavailable.

I've used RevoUninstaller many many times. I like it. There was a fairly long thread about it Here

What I'm a little fearful of is that if Add/Remove Programs doesn't see it, then Revo may not either. So from that standpoint, it looks like in the description of PUI about being able to fix entries, that may be the better choice.

Size-wise, both programs aren't that far apart.

I did some Googling for a CIS removal tool and didn't see one. Some people have written a mish mash of manual and semi-automated instructions but I didn't see much coherency.

I have CIS installed on one of my XP machines and it shows up as expected in Add/Remove Programs. I was hoping it might have some funny name but it didn't. Have you looked in the Start -> Programs to see if there is a Comodo group and an uninstall in there?

Another trick that may work is to download a new copy of CIS and try to do a re-install over the top. Sometimes it works and will get back some of the missing settings so you can do a "normal" uninstall. Works better than 50% of the time for me.

Maybe someone else has some more advice. You may have to resign yourself to leaving it as is for tonight. I know you don't want to do that, but sometimes it can't be helped.

@ Jacktivity

Thank you very much for your response :P

I would most certainly redownload and reinstall on top of the program to try and get it to work to uninstall that way, but this computer is on Dial up, I'd have to download it at home, and bring it over on my flash drive. There is no way I could do that from this computer, I imagine the file would be quite large.

edit: No, nothing remotely looking at all like Comodo is in the Start>All Programs :)

Thank you again.

oops I type to slooooooooooooooooooooow for Jacktivity . :)

Hello mountaintree16

Adding Run Command to the Start Menu in Vista

• Right click the Start button
  • Click Properties, click the Start Menu button
  • Click Customize next to Start menu and scroll down toward the bottom
  • Find the Run command box and check it
  • Click OK then click Apply.

Or

Press the Windows key and r key simultaneously which will launched the Run box

Can use the Search option if said program isnt found. :P

Update:

Steven is graciously helping me via PM in trying to uninstall this program.

Steven, if you are reading this, I went into RegEdit, and there is NO comodo under that string. I am so frustrated.

Thank you SO much for all of your help, hopefully we can figure this out eventually.

Thanks Steven.

I'll go into the C drive and see if there is even a Comodo program files folder.

EDIT: Well, there is a Comodo folder in the program files (I don't know why I didn't think of looking therein the first place, so thank you for directing me there) I am not seeing an uninstaller, though.