Why does Malwarebytes Browser Guard Require an Email Address

Krusty

Last I heard it was optional, but it was intended to allow Malwarebytes to notify you directly of updates and issues, but not to spam you. I don't think I've ever received anything other than what I signed up separately on purpose requesting to receive notices (such as this posting).

I would refer you to the Privacy Policy who's link is at the bottom of every Malwarebytes page and search for "email" to see how it's may be used.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, alvarnell said:

Last I heard it was optional...

Well, I installed the Malwarebytes extension on three machines, four operating systems in Firefox, Brave on Linux and Chromium Edge as well on Windows and at least once on each machine  / OS I had to enter an email address to activate the extension.  There was no opt-out option available.

Thankfully any fake email address worked.  Have fun with those, MB dev's!

Edited by Krusty

Of course any issues that Malwarebytes needs to notify you of will bounce off that fake, which is the main reason stated for collecting them. And since they obviously already have your email address for other products and services, I can’t help wonder why you would object. The Privacy Policy clearly states how such information is used and under what circumstances it might be shared with third parties, depending somewhat on where you live.

40 minutes ago, Krusty said:

Also, why the inconsistency?  I was not asked for an email address on each browser in each OS.  That makes me wonder why it is requested at all.

Originally they said it was a trial effort to randomly see how some users responded, but they also indicated it was optional, so I would agree that it doesn’t seem to pass the smell test today. I had hoped that the staff would have stopped in by now to clarify their current thinking.