Age limit now 21 across US for cigarettes, tobacco products

sman

Age limit now 21 across US for cigarettes, tobacco products

"https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/age-limit-now-21-us-cigarettes-tobacco-products-67948867"

Anyone under 21 can no longer legally buy cigarettes, cigars or any other tobacco product in the U.S. A new law enacted last week by Congress also applies to electronic cigarettes and vaping devices that heat a liquid containing nicotine

I never understood how it is legal for an 18 year old to go to war, kill, and potentially die in service for their country, yet to walk into a bar and buy a drink they have to be 21.  That said, it does make sense to me to have the same age restrictions on tobacco that they have on alcohol (I say this being a longtime smoker myself, even though I started smoking long before I turned 18).

In 18 states, children under 16 can marry. Over the past 15 years, more than 200,000 minors married in US, and in Tennessee girls as young as 10 were married in 2001,[6] before the state set a minimum age of 17 in 2018.[7]

@exile360why leave out voting age at 18?? odd rules..

Edited by sman

On 12/28/2019 at 1:34 AM, exile360 said:

I never understood how it is legal for an 18 year old to go to war, kill, and potentially die in service for their country, yet to walk into a bar and buy a drink they have to be 21.  That said, it does make sense to me to have the same age restrictions on tobacco that they have on alcohol (I say this being a longtime smoker myself, even though I started smoking long before I turned 18).

Despite the fact that I despise both cigarettes and alcohol, and I always will, I completely and 100% agree with you on the first part and always will.  The second part, I hadn't thought about it that way, it also makes sense.

Edited by mountaintree16