My external hard drive is infected

Damola

Hello,

Please I have an external drive that has been infected and I want to attempt fixing 

Formerly, it was a hard drive for another laptop, however the laptop experienced blue screen of death and eventually crashed.

I turned of auto play and scanned the external hard drive using Kaspersky on my new system

My Kaspersky tool neutralized log for the external hard drive shows about 76655667774 neutralized.

I have also ran Malwarebytes and detected about 34 malware, however I don’t have this log.

May I run the Farbar tool and have your assistance clean any remnant Malware.

Also I’m scared some malware can enter my new system when I plug in in, please what’s best way to run the Farbar tool for fixing on it.

Thank you so much.

Hello Nasdaq,

Thank you for your response. Please what is best way to run scan

I plugged my hard drive and moved the Farbar tool to my hard drive, I initiated the scan but the TXT files only show results for my laptop administrator.

Should I grant administrator privileges of my hard drive to my laptop administrator.

Thank you.

Hi,

You cannot possibly because there is not Operating system on it.

Try these Disinfector tool.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector

You may have a flash drive infection. These worms travel through your portable drives. If they have been connected to other machines, they may now be infected.

• Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
    Note: Some security programs will flag Flash_Disinfector as being some sort of malware, you can safely ignore these warnings
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

===

Please download and run the following Kaspersky antivirus scanner to remove any found threats on the USB drive 

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool
https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/free-virus-removal-tool

===

Hello Nasdaq,

I have downloaded the Flash_Disinfector, however double-clicking and running the program keeps returning the error the program wasn’t installed correctly, install using compatibility settings. I’m unable to install the program.

Please can you assist me in resolving this.

Thank you Nasdaq.

Hello Nasdaq,

The program still doesn't install.

I have attached snip of what happens after adjusting compatibility mode.

Snip2 shows what happens when I click run

Compatibility snip shows what happens after selecting <No launch the troubleshooter>

Thank you, please let me know what steps to take.

compability snip.PNG

snip2.PNG

Hello Nasdaq,

Yes the KVR tool works great, I’m able to scan my external hard drive.

I think Kaspersky internet security already cleaned the drive. I just wasn’t sure there could still be some malware/Trojans in the drive.

Spyhunter flagged some malware in the drive registry one time I had it installed.

Kaspersky detected my Spyhunter as a threat, so I uninstalled Spyhunter.

Can I rely on my Kaspersky detection and be safe.

Thank you Nasdaq.

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks