malwarebytes cut-out

If you do not want to download S A S then uninstall Malwarebytes fully and try to reinstall it -

Thanks, both noknojon and srtools1980v

I tried fully uninstalling and then reinstalling as per instructions on an earlier post (23613), also emptying browser cache.

It did the same thing again, running but cutting out after a few seconds.

Subsequent tries return the message, even when I run it from the program files folder: "Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

Help! Any more suggestions?

@stevenewbie,

At this point, I would suggest taking a look at this thread: I'm infected - What do I do now?, Please follow these instructions to clean your system

Thanks.

I looked at the thread. I can download MBAM but trying to run it generates the same error message already mentioned: "Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

I downloaded Trend Micro HijackThis. First time it ran and generated a logfile which disappeared from the screen after a couple of seconds (before I could copy it). Second time I try to run it I get the same error message as above: "Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

Any help gratefully received

Steve

@stevenewbie

Towards the bottom of that thread it says:

NOTE: If Malwarebytes won't run or HijackThis won't run please still create a new post in the Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs forum and explain what happens

So if you are having problems running MBAM and HJT, just start a new thread in that section of the forum and explain your situation and what's happening. Also,

you might be able to find your log in the HiJackThis! folder if it was created. The log might be found in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis or something similar depending on what folder you installed it to. It will be named 'hijackthis.log'.

@stevenewbie

Towards the bottom of that thread it says:

So if you are having problems running MBAM and HJT, just start a new thread in that section of the forum and explain your situation and what's happening. Also,

you might be able to find your log in the HiJackThis! folder if it was created. The log might be found in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis or something similar depending on what folder you installed it to. It will be named 'hijackthis.log'.

Thanks Swagger

The log is not in that folder, nor does Search find it anywhere else on the machine!

I'll start a new thread as you suggest.

Oh god!

Steve