Processing Texts From Spammers Working Properly?

BPC

Hi,  I am a premium subscriber to MB for iOS.  Today I received an obvious spammer text message. However, it did not display in the Unknown and Junk folder, but in the Contacts and SMS folder.  Why would that occur?  I believe I provided MB with access to my Contacts List when I set up the app.  Are my expectations out of line, or could something else be going on?

P.S.  I subsequently reported the Spammer's phone number using the process within the app. 

Thanks.

• Staff

There are two ways that text messages can be blocked.

One is by having a link to a known bad site. If such a link is present, the message should go into the Junk folder, whether the number it's coming from is known bad or not.

The other is by the phone number. If the phone number is a known bad number, it will be filtered to the Junk folder.

There are some potential stumbling blocks, though.

First, it's entirely possible a bad number might not be in our database. Because of that, I'd like to sincerely thank you for reporting the number via the app! That also has the benefit of blocking the number for you, even if we don't add the number to our database.

Why wouldn't we add the number? Well, because of the second reason... it may be a spoofed number. It is very easy to fake Caller ID information. I've done it myself while testing our app.

Unfortunately, scammers & spammers are using this to spoof calls and texts from legitimate numbers. They're often spoofed randomly, but still may very well belong to someone, and in such a case we can't block the number.

It would be nice if there were a way to detect that the Caller ID information had been spoofed, but unfortunately, we can't do that. Apple doesn't even let us see that we blocked anything, much less give us detailed information about your calls and texts. The only place that spoofing can be effectively stopped is at the telecoms... Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc.

I hope this helps!

• 6 months later...