Data Collection Options.

nukecad

I booted my laptop today and noticed that something was sending many Mbps of data from my machine.

Checking I found that it was 'Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit 64 bit tasks' sending MB's of data.

I have had no blocking events to report. What was MBAE sending?

I found an earlier post about this where Arthi stated that MBAE was gathering 'loading points telemetry', and a few posts later that users could opt-out by unchecking any one of the three 'Submit' options in the Settings.
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/233663-mbae-sending-large-amount-of-data-~10mb-to-835643254/?tab=comments#comment-1260193
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/233663-mbae-sending-large-amount-of-data-~10mb-to-835643254/?tab=comments#comment-1261346

Fair enough - but all three checkboxes are checked, greyed out, and unselectable in my copy of v1.12.1.109.

Personally I am not too bothered by this data collection; MBAE stand alone is now a Beta programme and Beta programmes need to collect data.
If you don't like it then don't use MBAE and use the exploit protection in the main MB3 instead.

However-
You may be aware that Piriform CCleaner is currently having a big problem with user reaction to unchangable, pre-selected, and later removed entirely, data collection opt-outs. (Their userbase is leaving in droves).

Pre-selected, and especially unchangable, data collection options are unlawful in the EU since the advent of GDPR.
It does not matter in most cases that the data is anonymous. (And under GDPR even knowing the IP it was collected from makes it 'identifiable' not anonymous).
Nobody's been prosecuted for it yet, but when the first are are it will be one or more of the 'big boys' to make it a statement. (Faceache, google, Amazon, etc. are all in the firirng line).
I assume MalwareBytes are aware of this, it would make a big statement for a security/privacy company to be one of the first prosecuted.

Edited by nukecad

On 8/22/2018 at 6:54 AM, nukecad said:

ou may be aware that Piriform CCleaner is currently having a big problem with user reaction to unchangable, pre-selected, and later removed entirely, data collection opt-outs. (Their userbase is leaving in droves). 

Drove-boy here, dump that garbage just like MBAE and MBAM, and others like Zone Alarm, Facebook, google, yahoo, twit (er). You know all the good old boy's programs from silicon valley.

Edited by circut