Annooying "Find in page" Search Bar At Bottom Of Page

Hello,

When I search for anything or enter in any form I get a "Find in page' bar that appears at the bottom of any page I'm on. It hijacks what I'm searching for entering it in it's own search bar. There are three options on this bar: Highlight All, Match Case, Whole Words. I can X out the bar after entering a couple of letters, it will disappear for awhile. If I open another tab it also appears on that tab, same for opening another window. On occasion it has made several windows, all blank, all blinking sporadically. I have heard I may have brought this on by selecting the 'Search for text when I start typing' that is not the case. I have also heard I may have brought this on by using key commands while entering a search, this is also not the case. 

I have run scans from Kaspersky, Comodo, Windows (malware) and Malwarebytes. They find nothing. I am using a refreshed version of Firefox 52.9.0 due to it's interaction with my live/real time trading charts. You will find in the attached/required logs from Malwarebytes and Farbar.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Phil aka. AlohaKid

Malwarebytes Advanced Threat Log.txt

FRST.txt

Hello, Welcome to Malwarebytes.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to  the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The tool will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

If the problem persists please post for my review the Addition.txt file that was also created by the Farbar program.

fixlist.txt

Hello nasdaq,

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I apologize for the delay in my response. I am currently a lava evacuee, dealing with the volcano lava flow on the Big Island of Hawaii.  I am now working on your solution and should post the log today.

Respectfully,

Phil/AlohaKid

Edited by AlohaKid

On 7/31/2018 at 8:32 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello nasdaq,

I had originally thought this issue was due to Firefox, I now see this search bar on my email client Postbox. Postbox has it's own search when needed on top of the page. This annoying 'find in page' has now appeared at the bottom of Postbox.

It concerns me that I don't seem to be able to get the results following the instructions to run the logs you need to help correct this issue.

Thank you,

Phil

Edited by AlohaKid

Hello nasdaq,

Thank you for the reply.

What I am describing is not the normal Postbox search, it is the same 'find in page' search bar that comes up on my desktop when on Firefox or any other browser I use. This 'find in page' search bar at the bottom is appearing on any application I may use a search on. All websites, all browsers and now last week showed up on Postbox.

I do not have this issue on my laptop's postbox or any browsers, which leads me to believe it's malware that has infected my desktop.

Hi,

--RogueKiller--

• Download & SAVE to your Desktop Download RogueKiller
  • Quit all programs that you may have started.
  • Please disconnect any USB or external drives from the computer before you run this scan!
  • For Vista or above, right-click the program file and select "Run as Administrator"
  • Accept the user agreements.
  • Execute the scan and wait until it has finished.
  • If a Windows opens to explain what [PUM's] are, read about it.
  • Click the RoguKiller icon on your taksbar to return to the report.
  • Click open the Report
  • Click Export TXT button
  • Save the file as ReportRogue.txt
  • Click the Remove button to delete the items in RED  
  • Click Finish and close the program.
  • Locate the ReportRogue.txt file on your Desktop and copy/paste the contents in your next.

=======

• 2 weeks later...

Also must add the scan only checked one of the Red (I had no red but did have several orange assuming this is what they are referring to) checked. I asked it to delete the red boxes however it only deleted the one they had checked leaving me with approx 5 more red boxes with a PUP in it. I then deleted those too.

I also notice the 'Find in page' search box is still at the bottom of my pages.

Hi,

You can remove these.

[PUP.Gen1] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3608336764-2410419638-1206596054-1000\Software\CoinisRevShare -> Found

[PUP.DriverPack] (X64) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3608336764-2410419638-1206596054-1000\Software\drpsu -> Found
[PUP.Gen1] (X86) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3608336764-2410419638-1206596054-1000\Software\CoinisRevShare -> Found
[PUP.DriverPack] (X86) HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3608336764-2410419638-1206596054-1000\Software\drpsu -> Found

===

Af for the Find bar, check this article and possibly resert the Default setting.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars

Hello nasdaq,

Thank you for the reply. I have removed those you've indicated.

Re-booted, unfortunately still have the original problem on internet and on my Postbox email as well, that's new within the last couple of weeks. I have also followed your suggestion to reset the default settings in Firefox although I have this same issue in Internet Explorer as well. 

Thanks for hanging in there nasdaq.

I have taken another scan with RogueKiller and posted the Txt below:

ReportRogue.txt 2.txt

Hi,

Reset Internet Explorer:
Menu > Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab.
Click the Reset button on the bottom of the pane.
Click the Apply button.
Close IE.

Clean the Internet Explorer Cache.
https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=15141
===

FIREFOX SYNCING.
If Firefox still gives you problems and you are Syncing it with other Devices remove it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-set-sync-my-computer

When all is well you can re-sync your devices.
<<<>>>

Keep me posted.

p.s.

The items reported by RogueKiller are good.

Hi,

Is your Icon anyithing like these?
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Postbox+email+icon&oq=Postbox+email+icon&aqs=chrome..69i57.2383j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Can you do anything with that Icon?

Check the mail, reply etc...
https://support.postbox-inc.com/hc/en-us/articles/202200610-Pending-or-What-Does-That-Little-Watch-Icon-Do-

p.s.
Can you right click on it and move it?

Or place your cursor on and move it?

Hello nasdaq,

Yes my Postbox icon looks like the first in the series from the Google link. No I cannot move it, only place I can move it is on my desktop which is expected, as all icons can be moved around there.

I have taken two screen shots of what I'm describing at the bottom of each page you'll find the culprit, it's never there until I type in my search bar on top, it then appears on the bottom of the page and proceeds to take over. It can be X'd out on the right hand side. On several occasions it's mere presence has made the web page I'm on multiply one on top of the other. Otherwise so far it's been a  somewhat manageable annoyance.

1. This one you'll see the 'find in page' search that popped up when I attempted to search from Search Page's search bar (upper right under the Menu Bar)

2.. I took a second screen shot as I attempted to reply to you in the reply box. I clicked in the reply box started to type then I noticed that 'find in page' appeared and took over my reply to you

FYI: I first noticed this issue soon after I picked up my desktop from a computer shop. After we were evacuated from the lava explosions our desktop failed to boot up.  The technician said the RAM was shot and replaced it with a Hyper X Fury ram.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again, nasdaq.

Capture Full Screen Shot.PNG

Capture Screen Shot 2.PNG

Hi,

Lets see what we can find in the Registry.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Registry Search
Follow the instructions below to download and execute a Registry search on your system with FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Right-click on the executable and select Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Accept the disclaimer by clicking on Yes, and FRST will then do a back-up of your Registry which should take a few seconds;
  • In the Search text area, copy and paste the following:

Startpage.com

• Once done, click on the Search Registry button and wait for FRST to finish the search;
  • On completion, a log will open in Notepad. Copy and paste its content in your next reply;