Winamp lyrics plug-in

I'm not entirely sure whether this would be considered a false positive, or, if so, whether it would be considered website blocking, or something else.

I use the plugin gen_lyrics.dll with Winamp.  It can be downloaded from here: hxxp://www.lyricsplugin.com/.  I've used it (and Malwarebytes) for years, without issue.

Starting a few days ago, the plugin will no longer show lyrics if Malwarebytes is running and "Web Protection" is enabled.  I do recall when first upgrading to Mawarebytes v3 a few years ago that I had to go into "Manage Protected Applications" and disable Winamp there to get Winamp to work properly then.  Though I don't recall whether the issue at that time was with the entire Winamp program or the lyrics plugin.  But, in any event, Winamp is still set to "off" under Protected Applications, yet I now have the plugin issue.

In Malwarebytes, I've added an exclusion for my Winamp profile folder (the one is <user>\AppData\Roaming\Winamp), but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  The only way to allow the plugin to work is to exit Malwarebytes completely, or disable Web Protection.

Please advise.  Thank you.

• Staff

Hello,

We are not blocking that site. Do you have a screenshot showing this block? We'll need this so we can verify on our end.

You can also whitelist it yourself, not just the folder but the actual executable showing in the alerts connecting to the internet.

Settings> exclusions> add exclusion> in the next popup window, check radio button beside "exclude application that connects to the internet".

From there, you will need to choose the file that was showing in the alert popup. You can't choose folders here - you will need to specify the exact file. Once you've set this, OK your way out & you should be able to run the application without issues.

6 hours ago, blender said:

Hello,

We are not blocking that site. Do you have a screenshot showing this block? We'll need this so we can verify on our end.

You can also whitelist it yourself, not just the folder but the actual executable showing in the alerts connecting to the internet.

Settings> exclusions> add exclusion> in the next popup window, check radio button beside "exclude application that connects to the internet".

From there, you will need to choose the file that was showing in the alert popup. You can't choose folders here - you will need to specify the exact file. Once you've set this, OK your way out & you should be able to run the application without issues.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not getting an alert pop-up when the issue occurs.  Nor is there a message that the plugin/website was blocked in the Notification window.  However, as I said, if I exit Malwarebytes or simply turn off the "Web Protection" toggle, the issue disappears.

Please see the attached screenshots-- NoIssue.jpg was taken with "Web Protection" disabled in Malwarebytes.  Issue.jpg was taken with it enabled.  The window on the right labeled "Lyrics" is the one in question.

I've added the exclusion you described, excluding Winamp.exe.  But the issue persists.  I've also added the Winamp program folder itself to the exclusion list, but the same thing happens.  The only way I've been able to get the plugin to work correctly is to exit Malwarebytes completely, or turn off Web Protection.

NoIssue.jpg

Issue.jpg

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

This is an issue with the latest version of MB3 that should be fixed in our next release. For now the best solution is to disable Web Protection when trying to use the lyrics plugin, or downgrade to the previous version.

Awesome!  Thanks so much for the information.