Infected but can't find it

Hi,

I took the time to look at all the items in the Shortcut log. No malicious sites were found.

Your last stream from mcafeesecurity.application-center.me is SPAM.

http://mcafeesecurity.application-center.me/4/?utm_source=dhara1&utm_pubid=d4908ba5-c683-48e4-9324-4a755d8a986c&x-context=wBFHLMDILJIDFDQE1JC7API0&xm=lm.vxilehikc0dxq.stream

You may be able to remove streams using the UnHackMe free program for this site.
https://greatis.com/blog/how-to/remove-mcafeesecurity-exe-completely.htm

Follow the instructions on the page.

---

This topic will give you additional information to look for.
http://www.myantispyware.com/2018/05/27/how-to-remove-stream-frenzy-chrome-firefox-ie-edge/

Before you uninstall an application and you want more information before proceeding please ask.

Resetting the Browsers affected may be an option.
===

Also suggested on this page is the Zemana Anti-Malware which is recommended.

Please download Zemana Antimalware (Freeware) and save it to your computer's Desktop.

• Right-click on the icon and select Run as administrator to install the program.
  • Click Yes to accept the UAC security warning that may appear.
  • Select the language and click the OK button.
  • Click the Next button, accept the EULA warning and follow the instructions to continue and install the program.
  • Once the installation is complete it will start automatically. Wait a few seconds until the update of signature database is complete.
  • Without changing any options, click Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected click Next to remove them.
    Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please re-boot your computer manually.
  • Click on the Back button.
  • On the top right corner click on Reports icon (the one with three bars) and double click on the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As, then select your computer's Desktop and click the Save button.

Please attach the saved report in your next reply.

Please let me know how if the problem persists. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Unhack me' pointed to 2 other antimalware programs... not very helpful. Two other hits looked questionable.

I chose to ignore its removal hints, so there's no log.

Zemana found one thing which I allowed to have quarantined.  (text attached)

"Hosts file - 0.0.0.0 - ft.com"   That site appears to be the legitimate Financial Times...

Not sure why that would be there, but I've never seen it as a pop-up. And I doubt it

leads me to fake Mcafee sites, etc. Odd.

2018.06.23-16.01.41-i0-t92-d1.txt

Edited by Ditch67

Also, this is todays hijack attempt log:

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 6/23/18
Protection Event Time: 2:52 PM
Log File: 8a32107a-7716-11e8-aa07-509a4cc94828.json
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.5.1.2522
Components Version: 1.0.374
Update Package Version: 1.0.5599
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Hijack
Domain: westerndigitalmeasure.com
IP Address: 192.241.254.144
Port: [53317]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

(end)

hijack.txt

Edited by Ditch67

Hi,

Lets clean the Powershell.

Navigate to this page and folllow the instructions in post No. 2 by Microsoft Agent Moderator
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/edge_other-edge_win10/microsoftedgecpexe/9effffbf-171f-46fb-9982-62f9a15c954b

Where it says Type this command:

I think you can copy the txt in bold and paste it instead of haveing to Type it.

RESTART the computer normally.

Let me know if all when well.

Playing Words With Friends still goes up to 100% CPU and then either

quickly crashes and reloads, or is taken over by virus.  This one just now on Edge.

(Am I the only one with this malware? I'd hoped MWB heuristics would've reported

the pattern, or enough people would get it that it'd be a priority fix.) 

WWF.txt

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 6/26/18
Protection Event Time: 4:49 PM
Log File: 62273998-7982-11e8-91cb-509a4cc94828.json
Administrator: Yes

-Software Information-
Version: 3.5.1.2522
Components Version: 1.0.374
Update Package Version: 1.0.5641
License: Premium

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System

-Blocked Website Details-
Malicious Website: 1
, , Blocked, [-1], [-1],0.0.0

-Website Data-
Category: Fraud
Domain: ocsp.comodoca4.com
IP Address: 40.136.60.65
Port: [49204]
Type: Outbound
File: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe

(end)

Hi,

2 things can caused this.

No. 1
Edge > Syncing issues.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/36286-turn-off-sync-favorites-reading-list-microsoft-edge.html
===

No. 2
Or you have A bad Extension in Edge.

Open Edge and if you find an Extension you did not install delete it.

From those that you did install disable the last two or tree extensions you install just before this ordeal started.

Keep me posted.

p.s.
I check this error on many topics and these fixes worked on all them.

1)  I don't own any other devices at all, and we turned off and cleared Sync awhile back.

Sync was in Off position.  I ran the tenforum's regedit to be sure to shut off Reading Lists and Favorites.

I did not use their Option 2: "To Turn On or Off Sync Content in Microsoft Edge using a REG file" portion. 

Not familiar with that, and the other two things I mentioned should've covered that.

2) No extensions are listed. It only offers suggestions on what to add. I've never added any to Edge. 

(I don't much trust extensions to begin with.)

The one thing that never quite worked right was in resetting Edge... I recall one webpage

you gave me saying to paste the instructions (powershell as admin) while still in Safe Mode,

but I always got an error on that, and had to run the instructions after reboot to normal mode.

Are you able to run the code while in Safe Mode? 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-microsoft-edge-browser-to-default-settings-in-windows-10

Hi,

The IP shown belongs to Digital Ocean
Check it out.
https://www.ip-tracker.org/locator/ip-lookup.php?ip=192.241.254.144

If this is not your provider let me know.

The port No. 56744 is used.
This may be probelmatic.

Is it needed?
Check with your provider.

===

You can remove that port by Opening Internet Explorer.

On the Menu bar select Tools > Internet Options > Connections tab > Lan Settings 

Remove the check mark on the Proxy server.
Delete the 56744 portNo.
Click the Apply button

Restart the computer normally to reset the registry.

How is it now?

Hi,

Lets see what we can find in the Registry.

Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) - Registry Search
Follow the instructions below to download and execute a Registry search on your system with FRST, and provide the log in your next reply.

• Right-click on the executable and select Run as Administrator (for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 users);
  • Accept the disclaimer by clicking on Yes, and FRST will then do a back-up of your Registry which should take a few seconds;
  • In the Search text area, copy and paste the following:

• Once done, click on the Search Registry button and wait for FRST to finish the search;
  • On completion, a log will open in Notepad. Copy and paste its content in your next reply;

Okay. For fun I tried using Firefox. (It had run even slower when I tested it so I'd 

only been using Edge.) Got same fake McAfee attempt as on Edge, but Firefox itself stopped it.

Was playing Words With Friends on Facebook.

Edited by Ditch67

I reinstalled Chrome, and then installed Ad Block on both that and Edge.

CPU use went from 100% down to 2% with Edge and as low as 0.2% with Chrome.

It blocks 8 ads on Words With Friends (Facebook). So far haven't had any pop-ups or hijack attempts.

It may happen, but at the least I can play the bloody game!

Wish I'd known about this a year ago. Prolly wouldn't have sold my old computer.

Thanks, Jonny Q for the suggestion.

PS It's INSANE that Facebook still allows malvertising, given its billions $$$. 
Too bad Senator McCain never passed a law covering it, years ago.

Edited by Ditch67

• Root Admin

Hello @Ditch67

Just following up to make sure that your issue is now resolved or not. If so, then I'll go ahead and close your topic so that other stop posting here. If you do need further assistance though please let us know specifically what issue you're still having.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Glad we could help.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks