nukecad

Win10 media creation tool download blocked, MB for Firefox

That was the answer I was hoping to see lol - but dared not ask it as a third option.

4 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Speaking of managing it - is there a setting in CCleaner's settings for Firefox profiles that allows you to skip cleaning permissions.sqlite so that the MB for Fx retains its settings

You can uncheck the entry for Filrefox 'Site Preferences' in CCleaner, that will prevent it from cleaning the file.
Or you could add the path/filename as an exclusion in 'Options > Exclude'.

As for a permanent solution from the MB side -

Is there any way that you could get the extension to reset it's database when Firefox opens? (Similar to the 'remove-undo' quick fix that I found, that's pretty quick in action).
CCleaner will not clean any browser that is open, so if you could reset the DB as soon as Firefox is opend it would cure the issue.
Doing it that way would also work for any other cleaner app that may delete the 'permissions.sqlite'.

I suspect that is one of a couple of methods they're currently looking at when Swandog said they were approaching it programmatically.

We've looked into this, and we're not totally sure but we wonder if CCleaner is buggy here.  If you clear Firefox Site Preferences using CCleaner, it appears to corrupt the IndexedDB storage -- not just clear it.  Subsequent attempts to open the storage for reading or writing time out.  Uninstalling and reinstalling the extension fixes it by setting up an entirely new IndexedDB database.  We'll report the issue to Piriform, we're not the only ones who've noticed:  https://github.com/openstyles/stylus/issues/278

Indeed, outstanding detective work @nukecad.  For the moment please don't use CCleaner to clear Site Preferences, as it appears to be buggy.  For what it's worth, Firefox Site Preferences are not cleared by default in CCleaner, you have to enable it manually.

Yet another reason to add to my repertoire for not using that product.

@Swandog46 - Is this across the board with Firefox versions, both pre-WebExtension and post?