No update to 3.4 offered

Hi dcollins:

Like bru, my MB Premium v3.3.1.1283 (CP v1.0.262) hasn't been automatically updated to v3.4.4 yet even though both settings at Application | Application Updates are enabled.  My automatic and manual updates are still delivering definition updates - the dashboard says updates are Current and I received a new v1.0.4520 definition set this morning.  I have not clicked the Install Application Updates button to check for available program updates.

I assumed Malwarebytes was deliberately delaying the v3.4.4 product update via the regular update channels because of the known bugs described in ddubrow's post # 2 of Malwarebytes 3.4 - Now Available, so I've attached the MB Support Tool logs for my own machine just in case they might be helpful.  Note that my MB Premium v3.3.1 is currently configured so that it doesn't automatically load at boot-up and Malware Protection is the only real-time protection currently enabled.

mbst-grab-results.zip
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v52.7.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.12.1.15 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CP v1.0.262)

Hi @lmacri, it looks like your system is checking for upgrades properly according to your logs, so I don't see any programmatic issues here. What I do is that your Malwarebytes is not running often, in fact it sometimes goes an entire day without being on. This isn't an issue necessarily, but it does mean that your upgrade checks are limited. Think of it like a lottery. Malwarebytes checks with the servers every hour and checks to see if an upgrade is available. The server chooses people in a lottery based on our metering (which is pretty high right now) and determines if they get the upgrade at that time. If your computer is off, that means it's not checking in, and not eligible for the lottery that time around.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, dcollins said:

Hi @lmacri, it looks like your system is checking for upgrades properly according to your logs, so I don't see any programmatic issues here. What I do is that your Malwarebytes is not running often, in fact it sometimes goes an entire day without being on...

Hi dcollins:

Thanks for checking my logs, and sorry for not responding sooner.  I didn't receive an e-mail notification that you'd replied, and it looks like I wasn't automatically subscribed to this topic when you split off my comment from bru's thread No Update to 3.4 Offered After 21 Days.

Thank you as well for the clarification about how updates are metered out, although it doesn't seem logical that I could go almost a month without receiving the 05-Mar-2018 MB v3.4.4 product update when I've been launching MB and running manual (and scheduled) updates every 2 or 3 days.  For the time being I'm essentially using MB Premium v3.3.1 as an on-demand scanner for running Threat Scans every few days because of multiple bugs I've reported with my Vista SP2 system, including an ongoing conflict with my real-time MB Web Protection and Norton Automatic LiveUpdates.  Here are two of the problems that were not fixed with v3.3.1:

MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH
     MB v3.2.2 Web Protection Still Blocks Norton Automatic LiveUpdates

I started MB v3.3.1 this morning to run a Threat Scan, and manual updates still aren't delivering the latest v3.4.5 product update.  I'll wait a bit longer before I click the Install Application Updates button to see if the v3.4.5 update is ever delivered through the regular update channel.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v52.7.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.12.1.15 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CP v1.0.262)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, dcollins said:

Hi @lmacri, it looks like your system is checking for upgrades properly according to your logs, so I don't see any programmatic issues here... The server chooses people in a lottery based on our metering (which is pretty high right now) and determines if they get the upgrade at that time.

Hi dcollins:

Just an FYI that I still haven't received my MB v3.4.5 update via the regular update channel although my malware definitions continue to update on a regular basis.  From this morning:

5acf59ceb2eca_MBv3_3_1VersionInfoasof12Apr2018.png.0dd872895fd1abf268eaaaaf6226fcb8.png

Do you know the current percentage of Check for Updates requests now being offered the v3.4.5 update in Malwarebytes' metered "lottery"?  If metering is set that high (e.g., 80% - 100%) is it possible that Malwarebytes is using a CDN in my region (central Canada) that isn't caching updates correctly?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v52.7.3 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.3.1.2183 (CP v1.0.262)

Edited by lmacri

We don't meter based on percentages, it's a solid number. The number is pretty high. Can you run the Malwarebytes Support Tool to gather some logs and send them over? This will let us know if the checking is going correct.

1. Downloads and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced Options
  3. Click Gather Logs, and once it's done, upload the zip file it creates on your desktop (mbst-grab-results.zip)

Just wanted to confirm. There doesn't seem to be any issues according to the log so the metering just hasn't hit you. I do notice your computer sleeps/turns off quite a bit, which as I stated before, could lead to this. On top of that, our metering has been lowered recently due to some upgrade issues we've been seeing users report.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi dcollins:

Could you please clarify your comment in post # 5 of jeffspl311's thread OpenVPN and Web Protection Not Working:

"As for the update button, the Update button on the dashboard looks for database updates only, not program updates. For program updates, you want to click Settings -> Application and then click Check for Application Updates .."

If users have both settings at Settings | Application | Application Updates enabled (i.e., Automatically Download and Install Application Component Updates and Notify Me When Full Version Updates Are Available), shouldn't right-clicking the MB icon in the system tray and choosing Check for Updates (or checking for updates from the dashboard) look for available product updates (e.g., from v3.3.1 to v3.4.5)?

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment in jeffspl311's thread, but it doesn't seem reasonable that I always have to monitor this MB forum for product update announcements and then click the Check for Application Updates buttons at Settings | Application | Application Updates to get available product updates.  This has been going on ever since I upgraded from MBAM PRO v2.x to MB Premium v3.x in June 2017.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

Choosing "Check for Updates" from the system tray menu currently only checks for database updates, not application updates. The only time application updates are checked for is every hour, and when you click the Check for Application updates button

Hi dcollins:

:o !!! Good to know.  I've been using MB Premium v3.x since June 2017 and always assumed that I was checking for available application updates every time I right-clicked the MB icon in the system tray and chose Check for Updates from the pop-up menu or checked for updates from the MB dashboard.

I'm still surprised, though, that my automatic updates weren't able to find the v3.4.x application updates for over a month (I finally gave up waiting and clicked the Check for Application Updates button at Settings | Application | Application Updates).  Changing the frequency of my automatic updates from every hour (the default) to every three hours probably exacerbated the problem, but perhaps I didn't notice something was amiss with my automatic updates because my scheduled Threat Scans were downloading the latest malware database updates at the start of each scan.

Your answer raises another important question.  Since MB Free does not have the ability to automatically check for updates, does that mean that MB Free users have to monitor this forum for product update announcements and then click the Check for Application Updates button in their settings (or performing an over-the-top update with the latest installer) to receive an application update?
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.8.0 * Norton Security Premium v22.14.0.54 * MB Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

Nope, the free version still checks for application updates in the background when it's running just not database updates since it provides no benefit to keep using bandwidth and only download updates when necessary.

As for your machine, like I stated before, it's a mix of your update time, plus your computer being off. The fewer times you check in for updates, the fewer chances you have to be selected in the upgrade metering. It will come through eventually, it will just take longer

Edited by dcollins

5 hours ago, dcollins said:

Nope, the free version still checks for application updates in the background when it's running just not database updates since it provides no benefit to keep using bandwidth and only download updates when necessary....

Hi dcollins:

Then I'm thoroughly confused. Are you saying that scheduled updates (i.e., the updates I can schedule in my Premium version  at Settings | Protection | Updates | Automatically Check for Updates) only check for malware database updates, and that Malwarebytes (both Premium and Free) runs a separate background check every hour for application updates on the backend servers in this metered "upgrade lottery" (assuming MBAMService.exe is running and the computer has not entered sleep/hibernation mode)?

If I deactivate my MB Premium license and use MB Free as an on-demand scanner, I normally start MB manually every 3 days or so, run a Threat Scan (which updates my malware database prior to starting the scan), quit Malwarebytes after the scan is finished and then leave it turned off for another 3 days.  Based on conversations I've had with MB Free users over in the Norton community, it sounds like there are quite a few MB Free v3.x users who have discovered that they need to click the Check for Application Updates button in their settings in order to receive application updates.
----------

Edited by lmacri

I may be wrong, however I do believe that he was referring to your scheduled updates, which by default are configured to check once every hour though he may correct me if I am wrong.

Personally, I simply click the Install Application Updates button under Settings>Application occasionally (Patch Tuesday is a good time for it, since you're installing Windows Updates as well as Flash Player updates if you have Flash installed so you can get everything, including Malwarebytes, patched on the same day).

If you're in Free mode, here's what your process looks like:

1. Database updates don't happen automatically. They only happen when you start a scan.
  2. Application updates happen consistently as long as the program is running (I believe it's every hour). These updates are the metered ones

If you're in premium mode, application updates happen in the same manner as free, but database updates happen as scheduled under the Protection tab.

Hi dcollins:

Thanks for that information.  I had no idea my MB Premium scheduled updates (or manually checking for updates from the dashboard or system tray icon) only look for database updates and do not check for available application updates.

I'm currently preventing MB Premium from loading at boot-up due to apparent conflicts with my Norton AV (which I've documented in other threads) so you're likely correct that I don't have MB running a sufficient number of hours each day for the program to find an application update in one of these metered background update checks.
----------