Interesting Article from The Register

catscomputer

@ Exile

Re uninstalling 8 to go back to 7: will you still be able to get updates for 7? Wouldn't auto updates try to get you to get back to 8 then? But then I see the blocker tool... :(:

Ohhhh cool :( So does that block it (IE8) from auto-update then but allows all other crucial updates through?

Why I like IE8:

Stay Safer Online

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...ures/safer.aspx

Accelerators

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...ster.aspx?tab=0

Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

Data Execution Prevention (DEP), on by default in Internet Explorer 8 in Windows Vista Service Pack 1, is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats by preventing certain types of code from writing to executable memory space

Automatic crash recovery

Tab isolation

If a website or add-on causes a tab to crash in Internet Explorer 8, only that tab is affected. The browser itself remains stable and other tabs remain unaffected, thereby minimizing any disruption to your browsing experience.

Crash recovery

If one or more of your tabs unexpectedly closes or crashes, your tabs are automatically reloaded and you are returned to the site you were on before the crash.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...ures/safer.aspx
Enhanced tabbed browsing

Have you ever opened a large number of tabs only to find yourself overwhelmed when you go back to review them? Internet Explorer 8 introduces Tab Groups, which make tabbed browsing easier. When one tab is opened from another, the new tab is placed next to the originating tab and color coded, so that you can quickly see which tabs have related content. If you close a tab that's part of a group, another tab from the same group is displayed, enabling you to remain within the context of the current task rather than suddenly looking at an unrelated site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...res/easier.aspx

There are many more reasons why I like IE8 but the above are my favorites.

I won't use it simply because each tab runs as a seperate process and takes forever to get going. I have plenty of other, better protections in place (such as Kaspersky's web filter and phishing filter) and I've looked at the accelerators and have no use for them. I've also not had an IE crash in I don't know how long.

I won't use it simply because each tab runs as a seperate process and takes forever to get going. I have plenty of other, better protections in place (such as Kaspersky's web filter and phishing filter) and I've looked at the accelerators and have no use for them. I've also not had an IE crash in I don't know how long.

That's because you have the luxury of using Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 and Kaspersky.

There are many users quite happily using XP Home or XP Pro and would have no need for Vista but can take advantage of IE8's features.

I agree with you about work computers as they are the company's bread and butter but for a general home user then they can take advantage of whatever security features are available with new software or hardware after reading about the security enhancements they offer.

Yes, I know. But I'm not going to Windows 7 either. It's not worth the cost since I'm already using Vista. I'll most likely purchase the next version of Windows (8?) when it's released as I'm sure there'll be more significant changes to look forward to then. If I were on XP though, I'd certainly go for 7 ;) .