Error 1068 on service start

Which services is Malwarebytes service dependent on on Windows 10?

The service does not define any dependencies, yet fails to start because services it may be dependent on are  not running.

Note I have completely disabled the following services:
Windows Update
WMI
Windows Security Center Service
... because they are all braindead and cause continual disk thrashing. (well windows update is disabled because ms cannot be trusted anymore - I manually mitigate all new vulnerabilities as they are announced))

Is the Malwarebytes service dependent on any of these? If so I guess I'll have to do without. I wanted to replace Windows Defender with Malwarebytes because of the recently announced vulerability in windows defender (CVE-2017-11937), and since the patch for it is only available via windows update I cannot get it (I will no longer install anything from windows update, microsoft just cannot be trusted anymore.)

Do I need to abandon the idea of running Malwarebytes and just make do with ClamWin? Any alternatives to Malwarebytes these days?

Edited by DisplayName2
second try to edit - will it take?

16 minutes ago, DisplayName2 said:

WMI

MB depends on WMI.

17 minutes ago, DisplayName2 said:

(well windows update is disabled because ms cannot be trusted anymore - I manually mitigate all new vulnerabilities as they are announced))

It is your computer but that is playing Russian roulette with it.

18 minutes ago, DisplayName2 said:

yet fails to start because services it may be dependent on are  not running.

You might have other issues.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE.
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  3. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  4. Press the "Scan" button
  5. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  6. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  7. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  8. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  9. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  10. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Thanks!

I'd recommend explicitly defining the dependency in the service definition when it is created.

I will not be enabling WMI (it is bad code and unnecessary and a liability), so I guess I won't be using Malwarebytes (at least for now, perhaps you might remove this dependency in future?).

Not playing russian roulette. I'm old school and know what I'm doing. First OS I used was VAX/VMS and I have used pretty much every other OS since in a wide variety of mission critical applications. 

I'm the kind of guy who still uses text only email... and I'm soon going to get in on the gopher revival so we have something when the http web balkanizes beyond usability.

I'll check back in a year or two to see if you have dropped the WMI dependency.

Thanks again for the info. Saves me messing around trying to guess.

Edited by DisplayName2

Thanks dcollins, but I was aware of all of that (and the service needs to define its dependencies).

But I'm back early not to see if WMI is no longer required but because... the day after I uninstalled malwarebytes I discovered

MALWAREBYTES ENABLED WINDOWS UPDATE WITHOUT ASKING OR EVEN NOTIFYING ME!

and now my laptop is in an infinite windows update reboot loop. I had disabled the service for a reason, and malwarebytes turned it on without asking me or even notifying me.  I am going to have to boot from a linux live disk, grab my lastest files since backup and completely rebuild that laptop now. And I'm thinking it won't be windows 10, MS just cant be trusted anymore.

Windows Update is the single worst piece of malware there is now, and you do this?

I am very unhappy about this. Very Unhappy. Very very very unhappy.

Some advice: if you are going to take such major actions on a users computer YOU NEED TO F***ING TELL THEM!

Edited by DisplayName2